PDA

View Full Version : VIRTUALDUBMOD OUT OF SYNC WITH VOB'S.

Scrag85
03-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi, i've just started using virtualdubmod, i rip my dvd's using smartripper, over the years i've found it to be the best & quickest dvd ripper. I've ripped a dvd, loaded into virtualdubmod, got the aspect right & made into an avi, then burned it using windows dvd maker, it works great! But now i've ripped another dvd with an aspect of 1.85:1 & changed it to 2.35:1 the picture looks great no stretching, but the audio is way out of sync, i also tried with another dvd rip this time a fullscreen one tried getting it into 2.35:1 & the same thing?!?!!? Anyone know what's going on, codecs maybe?????

DoctorM
03-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Scrag85 really, you are using funky software combinations and using strange methods.

Go read ADM's editing guide and start over.

Scrag85
03-09-2008, 10:20 PM
i gotta be honest i found his guide really confusing & the calculator a bit useless. I can tell if the aspect is right by just seeing the picture & i've written down all the measurements i need for all types of aspects. Since i was about 5 (17 years ago) my brother & his mates obsessively watched laserdiscs every single night & forced me into the mind of 2.35:1 is god & why isn't the crow & predator in 2.35:1, lol, so i gotten a sort eye for it, I'm just watching a dvd i made earlier with virtualdubmod(which i just got the proper ratio by resizing & no cropping & its an action film so it needs to be in 2.35:1) Its great, it looks just like the original dvd except no 5.1, i gotta be honest i'm not really into the whole 5.1 thing anymore, the past 6 years yeah totally, i even got the pc hooked up through 5.1 optical, but not anymore, so with sound only being in 2.0 with virtualdub its not a problem. But come on guys someone must know why i keep getting out of sync avi's after cropping & resizing. This is how it goes.... I load the vob (ripped with smartripper) into virtualdubmod, then i crop the picture accordingly(to get it into 1.85:1 or 2.35:1, then i resize it to get the shape right, then make sure the codec's all good, then i save it, takes about 30-40 mins. That's it, turns up out of sync?!?!?!?
I'm using a q6600 quad core processor, 8800gts & 4gb ram. So this shouldn't be a problem.

nOmArch
03-10-2008, 09:52 AM
yes the reason is because you're not following the correct way of doing things.

like DocM said go read ADM's guide which is pretty easy for a beginner to use, i used it for my first fanedit and i had NO edit experience whatsoever.

also you might want to demux your project before you crop/resize, then combine the video and audio back together after you've finished working on it.

again you really should read ADM's guide as it explains how to demux your project files and fix any errors that may be present.

Scrag85
03-10-2008, 07:03 PM
This are the exact instructions i use in my transfer cropping:

PAL & NTSC:
16x9:
1.85:1 To 2.35:1 - Resize To Get Aspect Ratio. 720x400(16x9)
Then Add Borders To Make It 2.35 Or 1.85. DO NOT USE NULL CROPPING!!!!!!!!

NULL CROPPING IS ONLY NEEDED FOR FULLSCREEN 4X3 TRANSFERS!!!!!!!!!

I am a bit confused about the 720x400?!?!!? i thought it should have been 360 or 460 not 400!!! But the picture comes out perfect, i've already burned about 4 movies using this technique, they look great!
I've just finished the test of Jeepers Creepers in 2.35:1 using these methods, it came out perfect.

tranzor
03-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Scrag85,
Are you absolutely insane? You are using one of the most outdated rippers in existence. 70% of today's newer protection will pass right through smart ripper and remain on your vob/dvd files on your pc. Perhaps you have been lucky and the films you have ripped just have general protection. Go try some of the Arcoss and other protected dvds, Smart ripper will hang up

If you ever plan on doing dvd authoring please for gods sake use something more current. Its like trying to use flaskmpeg to rip a HD film

Ghostcut
03-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Tranzor, you're too late...

he's been BANNED.

tranzor
03-14-2008, 04:54 PM
I had no idea.. What did I miss?

Ghostcut
03-14-2008, 05:08 PM
He flipped out on another thread when boon23 posted his opinion of the encoding results, which were horrible, light and milky.

Well, what he did was go a bit "mad professor" and edit almost all his posts in one particular thread to "FOOLS!!!!"

Then, ban.

tranzor
03-14-2008, 05:18 PM
what a jackass. He got what he deserved