PDA

View Full Version : Successfully burning dual-layer discs

ron2112
12-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Everyone's had trouble burning a dual-layer disc at one time or another. What follows is a series of steps you can take that will greatly increase your chances of a successful burn.

The first thing you'll need to do is go download ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com) if you don't have it already. Even if you have a copy already, go check to make sure you have the latest version, and upgrade if necessary. You'll also need WinRAR (http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm) or some other RAR extraction utility.

Okay, once you have those two tools at your disposal, you're ready to begin:

1. What format are your files in: a VIDEO_TS folder or an ISO?

.....a) If you've got an ISO, open it with WinRAR and extract its contents into a new folder (you'll end up with a VIDEO_TS folder and an AUDIO_TS folder). You're going to make a new ISO from these folders.

.....b) If it's a VIDEO_TS folder, create an empty AUDIO_TS folder alongside it if there isn't one.

2. Launch ImgBurn.

3. Go to the Mode menu and select Build.

4. Click the "Browse for a folder" button (it looks like a little folder). Select the folder that contains your VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. DO NOT select the VIDEO_TS folder itself, you want its parent folder.

5. Under Destination, click the "Browse for a file" button (it also looks like a little folder), choose a location, and enter a name for the ISO file you're about to create.

6. Click the Build button in the lower left (it doesn't look like a button until you mouse over it). If ImgBurn says it wants to name the volume for you, let it.

7. ImgBurn will offer you a list of potential layer break locations. They will be color coded based on how good they are. If there is one it recommends over the others, select it. If they're all the same, just select the first one.

8. It's up to you if you want to check "Seamless." I do, and I haven't had a problem, but if you've got an older DVD player, maybe leave that unchecked. It's meant to minimize the pause that occurs at the layer break, but not all players support it, so use caution.

9. Click OK. ImgBurn will create the ISO file.

10. When it's done, go back to the Mode menu and select Write.

11. Next to where it says "Please select a file," click the "Browse for a file" button (another little folder) and select the .mds file ImgBurn created next to your ISO file. If you select the ISO file instead, no biggie, ImgBurn will correct your mistake.

12. Check Verify, set the burn speed to the lowest setting for your media (read the text in the box to your right to see what speeds are supported), and click the Write button.

With any luck, you'll soon have a fully-functional dual-layer disc. It's worked for me on three different discs I was having trouble with, so I feel pretty confident it will help you as well.

If anyone has any suggestions or corrections to the process described above, please post them. If they seem to improve the chances of a good burn, I'll update the instructions.

Ron Moses

Ilubu
05-02-2007, 06:34 PM
bumb 4 justice

WellianTracker
05-03-2007, 02:21 AM
Dumb question - Can you burn a dual layer dvd with any old dvd burner or is their a new type of burner you have to own?

boon23
05-03-2007, 02:56 AM
it has to be able to burn DL of course. Old ones may don't support this. I have an old LG-GSA 4040b which does not support DL in anotehr PC. Still it is a fantastic burner, has burnt about 2000DVDs and is still running smoothely.

beckmen
05-03-2007, 02:33 PM
I think DL burners have been pretty standard for a while now, though. If you don't have one, they can be had for 35-45 USD I think.

I still have never burned a DL. I am afraid of the media pricing on them right now, and the prospect of how many discs will be wasted in trying to get it right, heh.

dhr001
05-03-2007, 02:42 PM
try LG DL burners, i have one and never burnt a DL disc, then got spence's matrix DL, so i bought some sony DL's popped it in, worked first time, no problems

AvP
08-31-2009, 05:45 AM
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/phound/gf.jpg

BANNED BOND: The Criterion Collection on DVD (by Fanfiltration)

Shortly after releasing the first 3 James Bond films on Laserdisc in a 2-disc CAV format in 1991, Criterion was asked by EON Productions (Producers of the James Bond Films) to recall all unsold Laserdisc product. It was felt that the audio commentary tracks on the 3 titles where unacceptable to Albert R. Broccoli, one of the original producers of the 3 films.
The 3 films had later been re-packaged by Criterion into a single disc format, and re-issued without any of the supplemental features. When MGM released their DVDís of the first 3 films in the mid 1990ís, they contained different audio commentaries. Now, the original 2-disc Criterion versions go for big bucks on Ebay. I am proud to preserve these great films and their original Special Features on DVD for Bond Fans Everywhere.

DR. NO (The Criterion Collection)

*BANNED Audio Commentary
*Music and Effects Only Audio Track
*Bond Bread Television Commercials
*Information on Publicity and Advertising / Cast / Production Team
Original Theatrical Trailer

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE (The Criterion Collection)

*BANNED Audio Commentary
*S.P.C.T.R.E. Dossier
*007 Friends and Enemies
*Daniela and Sean
*The Literary History of James Bond
*British Secret Service Dossier

GOLDFINGER (The Criterion Collection)

*BANNED Audio Commentary
*Music and Effects Only Audio Track
*Bond Bread Television Commercials
Original Theatrical Trailer
*Golden Girl
*Goldfinger Women
*Good Guys
*Bad Guys
*The Filmmakers
*Sets
*Cars

*Feature found only on The Criterion Collection

IMDB.............: http://anonym.to/?http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058150/

Menu.............: [x] Untouched
[] stripped

Video............: [x] Untouched
[] stripped

DVD Extras.......: [x] untouched
[] stripped

dentonmmm
12-14-2009, 02:36 AM
I love this idea. this has all the makings of a very interesting afternoon and some wonderful information. cheers can't wait to see it!!