PDA

View Full Version : Creating a REAL 5.1 track

TeresofBlood
03-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Here's what I'd like to do. I'm looking for a software that will allow me to import 6 audio tracks and set each track for each corresponding channel of a 5.1 track. For instance, it asks you for the left rear channel track and then you import a wav file that you want to come from the left rear. Then it asks for right rear and you import the file you want to come from the right rear channel.

I have created fake 5.1 tracks in Vegas, but now I'd like to try the real thing for a side project. Thanks for the help.

Ghostcut
03-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Vegas can do that. Create an individual track for each channel and click the speakers to the left of each track that AREN'T the ones you're using for that particular channel. For LFE, right-click the set of speakers and choose "LFE Only".

TeresofBlood
03-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Ah. Good stuff. Thank you. What should I do about the dialog normalization. I am simply making a 5.1 mix out of stereo music. There is no sound fx or dialog. The default in vegas is -27db. I'm not to good with this kind of stuff.

tranzor
03-23-2008, 06:31 PM
sonic foundry softencode is what you woud be after. It is just an ac3 making/converting program. Does exactly what you are asking and more

TeresofBlood
03-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Let me now reveal what I am doing. I am taking some of my CDs and creating 5.1 surround versions of them. I took the left channel of the stereo track and set it to play in the center channel, the front left speaker and the left rear. I did the same for the right channel.

There are many possible variations here. You could not use the center speaker at all. You could also alternate so the right channel is heard on the front right and left rear. Then the left channel would play on the front left and right rear, as to give it a more circular feel. I will try it all.

The cool thing about it is that you can fit a band's entire discography on one dual-layer DVD. So, I could pop in the "black sabbath" dvd and listen to any of their albums in 5.1 surround sound, without having to switch the disc.

PaulisDead2221
05-13-2008, 04:38 PM
I would suggest nixing the center channel, as tossing only one channel into the center will throw off the balance of the mix. Conversely, fusing both channels into the center may anchor the sound to one spot, which could actually work, depending on what you're going for. I would personally just kill the center though.

You know what might be fun? Games like the Guitar Hero series and Rock Band have to parse their music tracks so that particular parts can drop out of the mix when a player "misses a note." In the Guitar Hero series, most songs are parsed into a guitar track, a bass track, and a drums/vox/misc track. In Rock Band, mixes are parted into guitar, bass, vox, and drums. Once you rip the individual music files off the game, you could probably have a lot of fun stretching your mixing muscles a little bit by creating true 5.1 surround experiences out of the songs.

The Guitar Hero II songs are all covers, save for John the Fisherman - Primus, and all the bonus songs.
Guitar Hero III contains mostly the original songs (save for a few covers), and all the bonus songs are the real thing
Rock Band contains mostly the original songs.

I dunno, I just thought it would be a fun addition to your project.

Mnm
05-13-2008, 06:37 PM
All of that is nice, but if you really wanna make 'REAL 5.1' track you're gonna need allot more work than that of simply assign left channel to center or so.... You see, the thing is that you have to make six totally different mono channels from your original stereo. Not to duplicate the ones you already have. Anything else is fake 5.1. The goal is not to have 6 channels where some of them will be the same, but to have totally different from each other. And for that you're gonna need some serious editing and stuff. In the end, let's be honest, Black Sabbath deserves that kind of a treatment. You don't want to listen them in fake 5.1. Do the justice to the music man....

So in order to achieve this perfect sound you're going to produce your self next best thing to recording song directly in surround. You are going to extract surround components from the stereo and encode them in AC3 or DTS (I prefer the other one, when it comes to music, but that's just my thing). That means that if there is voice, you're gonna have it only on center speaker, LFE just as one channel and other four totally different ones from each other. And that result is mind blowing! It could not compare to any fake surround. But that is not the end. You could do allot more with it. You just must work with losseless formats. mp3 is not smart choice, but even with that you could do fantastic things (you just need to learn to clean them, enhance them and do all sorts of freaky stuff to it).

The programs that you need are: SoundForge, Vegas, any surround encoder you could find, PlougeBidule, and whole bunch of plug-ins......
Google some forums that deals with this kind of stuff (that means DTS/AC3 conversion) and start learning, 'cause once you gave your self nice little surround track nothing can cut that. Believe me, I was started like you, and now I'm addicted to surround music. But real one. Do it like professionals do. Black Sabbath deserves it. :)

tranzor
05-13-2008, 09:15 PM
and if you do not have any of those apps, I am sure you can dig up sonic softencode which will allow you to input your 6 waves (or however many tracks you want it up to that limit) and make your ac3 file