PDA

View Full Version : HD Xvid to DVD?

mrbenja0618
05-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Tried to search for this topic...No luck....

I have a HD Xvid file that I'd like to place on a dvd for viewing on my HD set.... Is there a way to burn the file and not lose any of the HD properties? Thanks to any who can help!

joebshmoe
05-17-2009, 01:59 AM
so what are you watching it on? (not the tv, the decoding unit)

you will either just burn to DVD+RW as HD XviD, or re-encode to DVD...

mrbenja0618
05-17-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm watching it on a bluray player.... What software can burn the HD properties onto the disc?

ThrowgnCpr
05-17-2009, 09:19 AM
I dont own a bluray player, but I know that a lot of newer DVD players will play data discs with xvid files on them. You should be able to just add the original xvid to a data dvd, and play it.

Frantic Canadian
05-17-2009, 02:19 PM
I dont own a bluray player, but I know that a lot of newer DVD players will play data discs with xvid files on them. You should be able to just add the original xvid to a data dvd, and play it.

I hadn't heard that. I'm going to have to try it out. Although my player, the Samsung BDP-1500, won't play DVD-R's so I'm not too confident it'll play a data disc.

zeppelinrox
05-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Find out the properties of the current xvid file and check the bluray manual to see if ThrowgnCpr's suggestion would work.

If conversion is necessesary, then AutoMKV or HDConvertToX should work

mrbenja0618
05-17-2009, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the info, but it didn't work on my bluray... Anyone else have any ideas?

zeppelinrox
05-17-2009, 03:25 PM
In that case, you need to find out what your blu ray player is capable of playing.

What file format will work on what kind of disc.

For example, IIRC, my dvd player will play avi files, but only if they are on CD and not on a DVD.

ThrowgnCpr
05-17-2009, 03:26 PM
In that case, you need to find out what your blu ray player is capable of playing.

What file format will work on what kind of disc.

For example, IIRC, my dvd player will play avi files, but only if they are on CD and not on a DVD.

yeah, thats the thing! each machine is quite different in its little idiosyncrasies. Definitely check the manual or website to see what it can play and on what media. To my knowledge, my Oppo DVD player can play Xvid/Divx on either disc media. I believe there is no restriction on video dimensions, etc, as long as it uses the Xvid or Divx codec.

mrbenja0618
05-17-2009, 03:37 PM
What about software? What do you think would be best suited to burn a DVD like that? I have DVD architect, and it has a bluray disc function, but doesn't accept xvid.

ThrowgnCpr
05-17-2009, 03:43 PM
What about software? What do you think would be best suited to burn a DVD like that? I have DVD architect, and it has a bluray disc function, but doesn't accept xvid.

well, for burning just a data disc, imgburn or nero will work fine. I also believe nero has a "divx dvd" function, but I dont know anything about it. You dont want to probably author a DVD or BD disc like with archihtect (The bluray function will author a bluray disc, and require the expensive blank bluray disc).

Have you checked your player manual to see what it can actually play? and what media it can handle?

mrbenja0618
05-17-2009, 04:01 PM

well, for burning just a data disc, imgburn or nero will work fine. I also believe nero has a "divx dvd" function, but I dont know anything about it. You dont want to probably author a DVD or BD disc like with archihtect (The bluray function will author a bluray disc, and require the expensive blank bluray disc).

Have you checked your player manual to see what it can actually play? and what media it can handle?

Actually that's not true, DVD Architect can create a bluray disc with a regular dvd, and without a bluray burner... The problem is the space available on a dvd as opposed to bluray discs.... Which is why I'm wanting to try the Xvid as it is a MUCH smaller file, and keeps a lot of the detail. But again, the problem is DVD Architect doesn't like xvid. So, i'm looking for a program that like it fine and will burn it for me without compressing it to 720x480.

ThrowgnCpr
05-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Well, there is the problem. You have 2 options with burning a compliant format disc (DVD or bluray), either 720x480 (for standard NTSC), or the BD specifications. For absolutely no loss (play as is), your player needs to be able to play xvid (which most new players do), and you need to figure out if it can do this, and what media it can be on (DVD, CD, or USB). again... check your manual.

zeppelinrox
05-17-2009, 04:23 PM
mrbenja0618: you're doing this asswards. You first have to find out what resulting file format you need and then figure out how to do it and what program to use.

So first find out if the bluray player will even play a blu ray structured disc on a DVD disc.

If you want to burn to a DVD, find out what the blu ray player will play off a DVD-R or DVD+R or a DVD-RW

btw, what kind of blu ray player do you have?

mrbenja0618
05-17-2009, 04:34 PM
mrbenja0618: you're doing this asswards. You first have to find out what resulting file format you need and then figure out how to do it and what program to use.

So first find out if the bluray player will even play a blu ray structured disc on a DVD disc.

If you want to burn to a DVD, find out what the blu ray player will play off a DVD-R or DVD+R or a DVD-RW

btw, what kind of blu ray player do you have?

It will play bluray structured disc on a DVD disc.

I know it plays DVD+R for sure.

It's a Magnavox NB500MG9 bluray player.

zeppelinrox
05-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Ok, so what you probably need to do is convert the AVI file to a format that will be accepted by DVD architect, right?

Uh... what formats will DVD architect accept?

ThrowgnCpr
05-17-2009, 04:53 PM
according to your owner's manual (LINK (http://funai-corp.com/6pdf/om/NB500MG9.pdf)), your player really only plays BD discs, DVD format, and JPG. BD can be on a regular DVD, but videos have to be standard DVD or BD format.

Your options are:
-Do you own a regular DVD player? Because the file will most likely play as-is on a regular DVD player
-convert to BD ready streams to add to architect (It is always a good idea to do this even when authoring a DVD. use a high quality encoder to get your streams ready, not the authoring program). I am sure there is software to do this. I will have to look some more
-burn it with something else. again i dont know what software (if any) is a one click solution to xvid->BD disc

zeppelinrox
05-17-2009, 04:58 PM
http://funai-corp.com/6pdf/om/NB500MG9.pdf

It may not actually play a bluray structured disc from a DVD according to the manual.

But it's worth a try and may work, I guess, since DVD Architect would probably just tell the player that it's a blu ray disc and not a DVD.

Edit: I didn't see ThrowgnCpr's above post until after I posted. So.. what he said.. plus what I said ;)

joebshmoe
05-17-2009, 07:25 PM
this sounds like a horrible unit.

TMBTM
05-19-2009, 01:16 AM
I don't know about blu ray player, but most (I think) DVD home player can't read files a lot bigger than 1 or 1,5GB.
So if you burn ONE big XVID on a data disc and play it on your home player, maybe it will not play. Not because of the codec or whatever, but because the size. You'd need to cut your movie in several parts.
Not sure of what I've just say though. Maybe it will help someone... or just complicate his life for nothing!

jjrdias
05-23-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm watching it on a bluray player.... What software can burn the HD properties onto the disc?

Nowadays i convert HD Mkv files to the AVCHD format, using a program like TSMuxer. I then record the output files into a normal DVD, and it plays as a Blu-Ray disc in hardware like the PS3 or other standalone players that support the AVCHD compression format.

nOmArch
06-06-2009, 03:26 PM
why not just buy a cheap pc for £150 and turn it into a media centre, that way you can play EVERYTHING for a lot less than the price of a BD player in the first place.

tbh you might as well just encode the xvid to DVD, ive done this with a couple of HD rips and the picture is still utterly stunning after conversion.

AvP
06-06-2009, 03:34 PM
you dont even have to buy a pc....get one of these!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... d_i=468294 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001ILFDCK/ref=s9_simz_gw_s9_p23_t2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0KZ7WTVJM1NBC45SR3WA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128473&pf_rd_i=468294)

nOmArch
06-06-2009, 05:11 PM
that looks like quite a sweet piece of kit. made by Western Dig though which isnt a good sign, their HDD's are terrible.

elbarto1
06-17-2009, 01:58 PM

Nowadays i convert HD Mkv files to the AVCHD format, using a program like TSMuxer. I then record the output files into a normal DVD, and it plays as a Blu-Ray disc in hardware like the PS3 or other standalone players that support the AVCHD compression format.

This sounds like what I am after... I recently obtained a 720p mkv file of Ghostbusters 2 and want to burn it to disc to watch on either my PS3 or my Oppo DVD player. I havent tried a straight burn yet (at work) but I assume neither player will play the mkv without a file conversion of some sort.

I can stream via 360 and PS3 and absolute worst case I can connect my PC to my HDTV but call me old fashioned, I like a physical disc and a HD copy of GB2 is what the doctor ordered since they skipped it on BluRay.

I have read about MKV2DVD (?) and now jjrdias' method. Whats the best/simplest way to get a DVD that retains the closest quality of the mkv?

joebshmoe
06-17-2009, 06:07 PM
the avchd method that jjrdias is talking about. just muxes the video and audio from the mkv into a new (supported m2ts) container (and then preparing for AVCHD creates a file structure like bluray, dvd, etc.)

elbarto1
06-17-2009, 06:18 PM
ah, I see. I found a helpful guide over on afterdawn
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_mkv_content_on_playstation_3_ps3.cfm

edit:
that link is very helpful but it says to output as m2ts file to play on PS3.
can I then just burn that m2ts file onto a DVD and have the PS3/oppo play it? or do I need to convert that again - or output a different file altogether? (like "AVCHD disk" or "BluRay disk")
thanks!

AvP
06-17-2009, 07:24 PM
burn it to DVD then it will play on your PS3.

joebshmoe
06-17-2009, 08:49 PM
yes it will. but not on standalone bluray players.

avchd is just creating the appropriate folders, etc. and placing the file correctly... so... you might as well do that.

elbarto1
06-17-2009, 10:05 PM
hmm, ok I converted it using the "AVCHD disk" settings, it created a m2ts file nested in alot of folders, I burned it and PS3 says it cant be played :|
so, before I make a ton of coasters, does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

ok, I got it to work using the "bluray disc" settings but it comes up as "data disc" on the ps3 and I have to navigate through the folders to the m2ts file, so it defeats the purpose of making a blu ray disc. It works but I have to still be doing something wrong.

joebshmoe
06-18-2009, 12:13 AM
yes it appears so.

i think you need to burn it with UDF 2.5

also, the level of the x264 must be <= 4.1

elbarto1
06-18-2009, 02:42 AM
yeah, I have those settings correct, I must be missing some tiny detail that isnt obvious to me...
at least it plays which at this point is good enough ;)

tranzor
06-20-2009, 05:29 PM
the ps3 and other home consoles use a slightly different process in order for it to work. I know software exist to fix this

this page may help out a bit

http://www.videohelp.com/guides?searchtext=ps3&tools=&madeby=&formatconversionselect=&howtoselect=%3B&orderby=Date&listall=1&hits=25&archive=0&search=Search+or+List+Guides

elbarto1
06-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks for that link Tranzor!

elbarto1
11-03-2009, 03:45 AM
had some issues converting DTS to AC3 when making a recent MKV (HD)DVD for my PS3. This program was very helpful for converting the audio.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DAudioK

Muxed it back together w/ the MKV video source (in tsMuxer) and was good to go.

Captain Khajiit
11-03-2009, 02:58 PM
ezmkvdtstoac3 converter is what I use to convert DTS to AC3-5.1 in an mkv.

elbarto, I know it's an old post and I guess you figured out your problem, but I know exactly why your PS3 was reading what you were burning as a data disc, if you were using tsmuxer.

With the old tsmuxer you had to check the blu-ray radio button as the output even though you were making an AVCHD. Weird but true!

With the new build of tsmuxer you have to check the AVCHD radio button, when making an AVCHD. If you did not do this, and selected the old blu-ray output, the PS3 would read the result as a data disc. This cost me two DVD-9s when I was converting Adywan's Ep.IV AVCHD to 23.976 fps - one of the hardest things I have ever done lol.

The disc architecture looks identical, so I don't know what changed, but there you go.

I hope this helps, and apologies if it was not what what you were doing.

elbarto1
11-03-2009, 03:25 PM
I could be wrong (as I have only made 2 of these disc's so far) but I believe I tried both settings. I dont mind navigating the folders but it does seem odd. I know that I am on the most recent tsMuxer though.

next time I make one I'll definitely give your settings a conscious try.

I'll tell you what though, it took me a long time to figure out that I needed to convert the DTS track to AC3 to get it to read right in my ps3. a few "soundless" coasters later and I am a smarter elbarto. :)

Captain Khajiit
11-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah, people should just use AC-3. DTS is more trouble than it's worth, and AC-3 is perfectly good. Why people don't aim for maximum compatibilty I'll never know. Everything plays AC-3..

That AVCHD button on the new build definitely solved the problem I was having with AVCHDs though, and I have not experienced it since. I can't guarantee it solves your problem too, but I hope it does. :)

elbarto1
11-03-2009, 04:19 PM
when you insert the disc into your bluray player how does it appear on your end? and are you using a PS3?
(as I mentioned before) mine appears as a data disc and I need to navigate to the .m2ts file in the STREAM folder and launch that to play.

Captain Khajiit
11-03-2009, 04:32 PM
when you insert the disc into your bluray player how does it appear on your end? and are you using a PS3?
(as I mentioned before) mine appears as a data disc and I need to navigate to the .m2ts file in the STREAM folder and launch that to play.

I can try it on both. Whichever of the two options you choose should play fine on a blu-ray player. It's the PS3 that is the problem.

I know exactly what you mean about the STREAM folder. I had exactly the same problem with the PS3. The AVCHD radio button did the trick though.

elbarto1
11-03-2009, 09:42 PM
so, if done right the disc appears as a "real" bluray disc and launches the film straight away w/ no folder navigation?

Captain Khajiit
11-04-2009, 11:12 AM
so, if done right the disc appears as a "real" bluray disc and launches the film straight away w/ no folder navigation?

Correct. On the PS3 it appears as a solid gold disc icon with - I think - the letters AVCHD beneath.

elbarto1
11-05-2009, 02:15 AM
yep you were correct capt. I tried it again following your settings and it worked like a charm.

only this time the film is framed oddly - there is no black bar at the top of the screen and twice as much "black bar" at the bottom of the frame, like the whole image was shifted up the heiht of the top bar. theres no distortion to the image though, just no bar at the top and a big bar at the bottom.
do you think that was the tsMuxer's doing or the way the person created the mkv?

edit 1 - noticed another problem - the ps3 (or possibly my TV) is forcibly downscaling the res to 720x480. any idea why?
I dont have this issue on the other AVCHD/m2ts discs I made. I will try my 'old way' to see if any issues differ.

edit 2 - old method works fine (other than the necessary file navigation) no downscale. no odd framing. weird. :?:

Captain Khajiit
11-05-2009, 11:31 AM
99% sure it was nothing to do with tsmuxer. I guess the reason is that the MKV has been cropped. Most MKVs have the black borders cropped to reduce file size. I have never experienced this because I have never actually converted an MKV to AVCHD without uncropping it first, but I would imagine that this might affect the ratio in the way that you described.

To uncrop I use the logically named uncropMKV, a handy tool little tool by a nice chap called Dean.

http://www.digital-digest.com/software/uncropMKV.html

Load your MKV into this program and it will tell you if the video height is not compliant. If it is not, it will usually input the correct height for you. Just add your job to the queue and uncrop.

The program will produce a duplicate of your original MKV with the borders uncropped, and an uncropped suffix added to the filename. Then use tsmuxer as normal.

Give this a try. If uncropMKV does not report that the video is not compliant, we''ll have to find another solution, but I'm pretty sure this is the reason. I have made dozens of MKVs without having a problem, so it seems to me that uncropping is the missing stage in your method.

Let me know. :)