PDA

View Full Version : AVCHD Preference

Q2
03-13-2010, 06:24 PM
I posed this question in the chat room the other day and got a lot of responses and thoughts, but I figured posting a poll here might be beneficial for more insight. I'm planning on making a version of my fanedits available in the AVCHD format yet the decision needs to be made at what resolution: 720p or 1080p? 720p can fit on a DVD-SL while 1080p requires DVD-DL. But 1080p has a higher resolution than 720p but is it such a large difference people won't like it?

So I pose the question: if you were downloading an AVCHD version of a fanedit would you prefer the higher resolution even though it required a more expensive media (DVD-DL) or would you be satisfied with the lower resolution version but on the cheaper media (DVD-SL)?

If you're not familiar with AVCHD keep in mind you still need a compatible Blu-Ray player to view this version.

Thoughts?

TV's Frink
03-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Dual Layer all the way, baby.

I declare the poll closed. DL wins 1 to 0.

;)

Captain Khajiit
03-13-2010, 08:00 PM
I have not voted because I want option 3. 720p on a DVD-9.

720p on a DVD-5 looks better than a DVD, but not by much, because it does not have much by way of bitrate given how much the bitrate has been reduced from that of its source file, whether it be Blu-ray, HD-DVD or HDTV. The same is true of 1080p on a DVD-9.

1080p can look good on a DVD-9 (Adywan's AVCHDs are a good example), but it usually struggles to do so, in my opinon, because obviously the higher the bitrate, the higher the resolution you need to make it look good. 720p encodes, given the lower resolution, do relatively well in terms of bitrate on a DVD-9, and many HD rips are encoded like this for this reason. If you want to release 1080p, do it on a BD-25, or stick to 720p.

Q2
03-13-2010, 08:08 PM
I have not voted because I want option 3. 720p on a DVD-9.

Option 3 added. :)

TV's Frink
03-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Vote cast. Poll over. Tee-hee.

Captain Khajiit
03-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Option 3 added. :)

Thanks, Thunderclap! :-)

joebshmoe
03-13-2010, 10:43 PM
dvd-r dl is a terrible idea, btw.

dvd+R DL

720p SL DVDR is ok for ~90minutes, but over it gets increasingly worse quality. ditto for 1080p DL DVDR.

of course it matters what else is on the media, and audio should be AC3

biggest limitation is the source -- 1080p bluray source will look much better than HDTV source

i am really liking x264+ac3 streaming on my PS3 (mkv) and feel like DVD (MPEG2) will be dying off soon. even SL 480p AVCHD would be much better quality than MPEG2 and will be increasingly supported with all bluray players.

i'm usually conservative about these kinda things, but feel like it's time to jump on the bandwagon.

Captain Khajiit
03-13-2010, 11:40 PM
even SL 480p AVCHD would be much better quality than MPEG2 and will be increasingly supported with all bluray players

I agree. (I don't think anyone was contemplating DVD-R though.) I was thinking about releasing some edits on 480p SL AVCHDs. MPEG-2 is awful really. If it weren't for the fact that most fanedits are till released on DVD, I wouldn't even consider it.

What are people using as an X264 GUI to make AVCHDs these days? I don't like MeGUI or AutoMKV much really.

Q2
03-13-2010, 11:48 PM
What are people using as an X264 GUI to make AVCHDs these days? I don't like MeGUI or AutoMKV much really.

I'm planning on using multiAVCHD which, I believe, will convert your file into an AVCHD one. That's what I'm planning on trying at least.

elbarto1
03-14-2010, 12:12 AM
I voted for 720p SL but after I stopped and thought about it (guess I should have done that first) most of my MKV to AVCHD conversions end up on a DL so, I'd change it but I cannot.
;)

Q2
03-14-2010, 12:16 AM
I voted for 720p SL but after I stopped and thought about it (guess I should have done that first) most of my MKV to AVCHD conversions end up on a DL so, I'd change it but I cannot.
;)

Noted.

Captain Khajiit
03-14-2010, 05:58 AM
I'm planning on using multiAVCHD which, I believe, will convert your file into an AVCHD one. That's what I'm planning on trying at least.

Really? I thought multiAVCHD was just a transcoder! Do you mean it can convert files such as uncompressed AVI files to h.264? If so, that's great news.

Every time I have taken a file that is already h.264 into multiAVCHD, it seems to want to transcode it, which I would obviously prefer not to do. I've been looking for a way to make an elementary h.264 stream that it doesn't need to transcode.

nOmArch
03-14-2010, 09:03 AM
I voted for 720p SL simply because you cannot tell any difference between 720p and 1080p unless your screen is at least 42" and i only have a 37" :-P

i have some absolutely gorgeous 4gb 720p encodes and they look brilliant, as with all encodes its more about how good the encoder is, i have a few 2gb m-HD rips which actually look much better than the equivalent 4 - 6gb rip.

Captain Khajiit
03-14-2010, 10:15 AM
I voted for 720p SL simply because you cannot tell any difference between 720p and 1080p unless your screen is at least 42" and i only have a 37" :-P

I'm glad I chose a 42" screen rather than 37" at the last minute then! :smile: Seriously, I agree with you about not seeing the difference in resolution on smaller screens, but I can most definitely tell the difference between say a 4 and a 6.5 GB 720p file on any screen. I have two HD versions of Back to the Future II, one SL and one DL, and the difference is quite noticeable.

I know the kind of 2GB encodes you're talking about, and from what I've seen of them, they look heavily filtered. Just my opinion! :)

TV's Frink
03-14-2010, 10:55 AM
This may be a dumb question, but is it a lot of work to do both a SL and DL?

Captain Khajiit
03-14-2010, 11:15 AM
This may be a dumb question, but is it a lot of work to do both a SL and DL?

It should be a matter of encoding your project twice with different bitrate settings and perhaps tweaking your menus, so not really. It is not like PAL and NTSC when you have to make two sets of menus and perform a conversion.

Q2
03-15-2010, 09:18 PM
As of Monday night nine people have voted and the 720p on a DVD5 (aka DVD-SL) outweighs 720p on a DVD9 (DVD-DL). Yet of the six people that voted for DVD5 not one has explained why. Is it due to media cost? You don't see difference in quality?

Right now I'm going with 720p DVD9 as there was a good discussion in favor of the higher bitrate. For my second fanedit, Unbreakable: The Extended Edition, I managed to get the video at 8000 kbps and the quality is outstanding. If someone can give me a reason DVD5 is the better choice I would like to hear it though and I may consider releasing two versions.

Otherwise, for future releases I plan on releasing the DVD version on DVD5 and the AVCHD version on DVD9.

TV's Frink
03-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Thank you sir.