PDA

View Full Version : convert HD .mp4 for editing in Final Cut w/ No quality loss?

woundedmakers
05-31-2010, 12:16 PM
On Mac OSX:

Ok, so I have a Hi-Def Mp4 file that Final Cut Pro refuses to import. However, I am aware that .mp4 files are not for editing. I have tried to convert the mp4 into DV, DVCPROHD, and Mov but was met with severe quality loss. I don't understand, the DVCPROHD info matches the original Mp4 file exactly, yet the "blacks" in the video are filled with artifacts. So, I need to know the ideal editing codec for HD in Final Cut and the best way to convert my mp4 file with ZERO quality loss to that codec. Any help would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated!

Here's the file info:

Source: .mp4

Format: H.264, 720 x 400, Millions. AAC, Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz. AAC, 5.1 (C L R Ls Rs LFE), 48.000 Khz.

FPS: 23.98

Size: 720 x 400 pixels, 1.61 GB

Here's the software I'm using:

Final Cut Pro, Compressor, Mpeg Streamclip, and Visualhub

THANKS AGAIN!!! :D :D :D

Q2
05-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Use either MPEG Streamclip or Quicktime to convert the footage to DV/DVCPro. Don't convert it to DVCPRO HD since you're not working with HD source footage.

Can you give us a screen capture of the DV converted footage?

Another alternative codec is Apple ProRes. You could try that one.

woundedmakers
05-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Hey thunderclap, thanks for the reply. I was actually surfing around the forum, and found your answer to this question on another board. I took your advice, and I am currently using Compressor to convert my mp4 to Apple Pro Res (LT). You had mentioned that LT vs HQ is usually not an issue, so I am hoping for the best! I actually deleted the DVCPROHD file because it was large and I assumed it would be worthless. I will check back here and report my results when the Apple Pro Res file is done converting. Thanks again!

woundedmakers
05-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Hey the Apple Pro Res file looks great! One problem though-the audio won't render in Final Cut. Is this the correct settings:
(drop-down)Final Cut Pro>Easy Setup>Format: Apple Pro Res 422?
The video renders fine and looks excellent.

Help please! Thanks! :? :D

Q2
05-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Hey the Apple Pro Res file looks great! One problem though-the audio won't render in Final Cut. Is this the correct settings:
(drop-down)Final Cut Pro>Easy Setup>Format: Apple Pro Res 422?
The video renders fine and looks excellent.

What version of FCP are you running? If you have version 6 or higher dropping the video file in the sequence should force FCP to offer you to conform the sequence to the video settings.

scrapesky
05-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Thunderclap, in your opinion, using Mac OSX taking footage from blu ray(.m2ts), what is the best format to convert the .m2ts files to edit with?

like i was saying in the Mac thread, and File conversion, i use FCP, FCE, and Adobe CS4. you recommended FCP, so thats what i am going with, but it seems that i am having lots of trouble using the .m2ts>h.264(mp4) files. would you suggest divx or xvid(.avi) or .mov? i am also assuming i need to keep the .mp4 & .mov in HD right?

i feel like a cannot find a starting point with my footage.

woundedmakers
05-31-2010, 09:56 PM
What version of FCP are you running? If you have version 6 or higher dropping the video file in the sequence should force FCP to offer you to conform the sequence to the video settings.

version 7.0.2-It does offer to conform the sequence to video settings and when I accept, I get "general error" when trying to render the audio.

woundedmakers
05-31-2010, 10:04 PM
However, the audio seems to play fine in Soundtrack Pro..hmm?

Q2
06-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Thunderclap, in your opinion, using Mac OSX taking footage from blu ray(.m2ts), what is the best format to convert the .m2ts files to edit with?

When I was fanediting on the Mac (I've since moved to Windows) I still used Windows to rip the M2TS to an MP4 file. I then took that to OS X and converted that to Apple ProRes. That was the easiest method I found.

like i was saying in the Mac thread, and File conversion, i use FCP, FCE, and Adobe CS4. you recommended FCP, so thats what i am going with, but it seems that i am having lots of trouble using the .m2ts>h.264(mp4) files. would you suggest divx or xvid(.avi) or .mov? i am also assuming i need to keep the .mp4 & .mov in HD right?

I use Adobe Premiere CS5 and that can actually take in MP4 files easily. Not sure if CS4 or the Mac version works as well. You could try. I prefer FCP because that's what I know and I do find it easier to work with, but if you're not familiar with either FCP or Premiere then Premiere might be easier.

A solution to your audio problem would be to open the MP4 or ProRes file in Quicktime and convert the audio to AIFF. See if that helps. I have a feeling that audio wasn't converted properly.

woundedmakers
06-01-2010, 03:37 PM
A solution to your audio problem would be to open the MP4 or ProRes file in Quicktime and convert the audio to AIFF. See if that helps. I have a feeling that audio wasn't converted properly.

Yes, last night I actually converted to AIFF using Toast. Works fine in FCP, but I only get two channels to work with, as opposed to the 8 channels from the ProRes file.

Q2
06-01-2010, 03:50 PM

Yes, last night I actually converted to AIFF using Toast. Works fine in FCP, but I only get two channels to work with, as opposed to the 8 channels from the ProRes file.

8 channels? 7.1? Whatever the case maybe the audio file isn't converting properly. You might want to demux the M2TS file and get the .DTS or .AC3 file out of it. You can then import that into Audacity (needs a plugin for either... just Google it) and you can do a Export Multiple. This will export each track as an individiual file. What I generally do is label them L, R, C, LFE, RL, RR. You then will have six WAV files that you can import into FCP.

woundedmakers
06-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Ok thanks thunderclap-I will give it a go. BTW I did a test conversion of ProRes LT vs HQ, and you were definitely right. There is hardly any difference in quality. The size however (16gb<46gb) BIG Difference! :D