PDA

View Full Version : What do you do in real life?

hebrides
07-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Hi there. I know there's a "what do you look like in real life?" thread, and I had thought there was one about what you do too, but I can't seem to find it right now, so I've decided to start a new thread.

I know what some of you do in real life, but I'd be curious to know about more of you, and I bet some of you are wondering the same thing.

I'll also admit that I'm starting this thread in part because, as some of you know, I need for various reasons to look for a new job, including ones outside my comfort zone of academia. So I figured that by getting feedback about what other people do, it might help me to think of some fields I haven't looked into yet.

But really, I'm not just being selfish; I really do want to know ;-)

So anyway, I guess I'll start. For the moment, anyway, I teach college-level English composition and literature. I also do some tutoring, especially with student-athletes, and I've been looking into various administrative/counseling jobs at colleges and writing/editing/proofreading jobs in the (big, scary) real world.

How about you?

musiced921
07-12-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm a middle school music teacher and am working on my masters degree in music education. I've been teaching for 5 years now and I'm hoping after my masters is done to teach at the college level at night while teaching middle school during the day.

I've actually been interested in learning more about music in films and am juggling the idea of taking some classes on it. The problem is that it involves composing music which I'm not very good at and can't say I like any of the music I hear in my head that is my own. My hopes are to teach a class about music in film at the college level as some sort of elective.

I'm also interested in teaching about newer more modern music to up and coming music educators because 95% of the music schools severely lack a class like that and spend WAAAAAAY too much time talking about Beethoven and Mozart (which don't get me wrong, they are great and I appreciate them, but there is a point when enough is enough and we should learn what else is out there besides what they did hundreds of years ago).

TV's Frink
07-12-2011, 06:01 PM
I work. :-P

Q2
07-12-2011, 06:06 PM
I work. :-P

Is that what you call it? ;)

steelio2006
07-12-2011, 06:07 PM
going to school to get my associate's degree in general technology.

TV's Frink
07-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Is that what you call it? ;)
:oops:

Metrostar
07-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Short version: I work with adults with intellectual disabilities. I provide direct support Monday to Friday while they are at 'work.' I assist them with their job, hygiene, social skills and various other things. My six clients have cooking group every Wednesday, which involves shopping and preparing for a healthy lunch and I take them bowling on Friday mornings. Three of my clients have Downs Syndrome and another has Cerebral Palsy. There is a lot more to it than that, but hopefully you can imagine. It's an extremely rewarding job and I would really recommend something like this to anyone who wants to do something different.

reave
07-12-2011, 11:37 PM
I own a custom woodworking shop. We specialize in custom cabinetry, furniture and staircases. If anyone in the states needs any custom woodworking, feel free to contact me. Business is slow and we will travel :D

hebrides
07-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Very interesting stuff, guys! Keep it coming :)

Oh, and reave: do you ever do any work with antique metal drawer pulls? If yes, please PM me -- I might have a few questions for you...

havok1977
07-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Well I became an Electronics Engineer a bit over ten years ago, but the tech field where I live does not have much room for circuitry and appliance design; and so in those days it all came down to two possible career paths, since software development was never my favorite topic I decided to go for IT with an emphasis on computer networks and telecommunications, to the extent that I got my masters in that field while living down in Australia a couple of years ago.

Nowadays I'm back working for the mid-size telco company at which I spent almost 5 years before going back to school, doing R&D for any new tech that might be of interest for expanding or evolving our current offering; with stuff like cloud computing and networking security being a couple of good examples.

Gaith
07-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Writing copy for one of those online-coupon web sites while I wait to ship out to Naval Basic Training, and subsequently become an interpreter/intel analyst. :)

nOmArch
07-13-2011, 05:08 PM
I run a Small IT business which keeps the wolf from the door and gives me a chance to mess around with little side projects in my spare time the latest of which is building a full Level 3 Acorn Econet network with a file server and 5 or 6 clients.

Q2
07-13-2011, 05:24 PM
I work as a legal videographer, as well as run a video production company. (Though, legal video is 90% of my business these days.)

TV's Frink
07-13-2011, 05:30 PM
I work as a legal videographer, as well as run a video production company. (Though, legal video is 90% of my business these days.)
So, 10% is illegal?

Q2
07-13-2011, 05:34 PM
So, 10% is illegal?

So as not to incriminate myself I plead the fifth.

Dwight Fry
07-13-2011, 06:15 PM
So as not to incriminate myself I plead the fifth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7pQytF2nak

TV's Frink
07-13-2011, 06:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7pQytF2nak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGQVETVVGf0

Omaru1982
07-13-2011, 06:44 PM
I work in a bank, we receive cheques from various countries and it's my team's job to convert them using the daily exchange rates and credit the customers account in sterling.

Very boring and mundane, except on occasion where we spot a cheque for or endorsed by a celebrity. The two most recents were Daniel Radcliffe and Richard Lester, though I do tend to see Tom Wilkinson pop up every couple of months.

Gaith
07-14-2011, 01:37 PM
I work as a legal videographer, as well as run a video production company. (Though, legal video is 90% of my business these days.)The fan editing possibilities... ! :lol:

elbarto1
07-14-2011, 02:45 PM
I have owned and operated a small mom and pop record store for the last 9 years. We sell cd's dvd's vinyl and games. the store will be closing in the next 3 weeks. I now specialize in being miserable.

TV's Frink
07-14-2011, 03:15 PM
the store will be closing in the next 3 weeks. I now specialize in being miserable.
:-(

STANKPAC
07-14-2011, 03:25 PM
I feel your pain Elbarto1. Sorry to hear that! :-(

hebrides
07-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Oh no! Sorry, barto.

Gaith
07-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Aye, sorry to hear it! My local independent video store is going under, also...

leeroy
07-14-2011, 05:18 PM
i work in a supermarket warehouse nothing glamours but i get to drive a fork lift truck :-D has anyone mentioned to work their work colleague's about this site or do you keep it hush hush?

TV's Frink
07-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Given that I didn't divulge what I do, you can probably guess my answer to that.

Omaru1982
07-14-2011, 06:09 PM
I mentioned it to my flow leader, since he does some editing in his spare time. In fact he was last trying to edit a teaser trailer for a pilot to market to some American network (Something along the lines of band of brothers)

Q2
07-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Given that I didn't divulge what I do, you can probably guess my answer to that.

I'm going to continue believing your a pimp daddy.

Yo.

TV's Frink
07-14-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm going to continue believing your a pimp daddy.

Yo.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p203/ThrowgnCpr/random/FlasherFrink.jpg

Frantic Canadian
07-15-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm currently unemployed. I was tired of going from dead end job to dead end job so I quit my job last year and went back to school. I just recently graduated from Everest College as a Medical Laboratory Technician. As a Medical Laboratory Technician I can work in a doctor's office taking vital signs and performing ECG's, work at a blood lab performing phlebotomy (taking blood), or work in a hospital or clinical lab performing a variety of different tests depending on the department I'm in. I just applied for a position in Forensic Pathology so I'm really hoping I get it.

leeroy
07-15-2011, 04:14 PM
good luck with that, i know how you feel about dead end job's i seem to specialize in them.

Frantic Canadian
07-15-2011, 04:25 PM
good luck with that, i know how you feel about dead end job's i seem to specialize in them.

Thanks. I've been doing the same for the last 13 years. I'm hoping I get this job and go from dead end job to a job with the dead. :lol:

Metrostar
07-16-2011, 11:23 AM
i work in a supermarket warehouse nothing glamours but i get to drive a fork lift truck :-D has anyone mentioned to work their work colleague's about this site or do you keep it hush hush?

I used to work for Harris Teeter supermarkets stocking shelves at night. I loved that job. About 5 of us working through the night with the in-house music system turned up to '11.' We rocked all night!

I've told a lot of people at work about fanedits and that there is a site for them and the editors. I rarely get a good reaction. I rarely meet anyone who isn't pleased with what they see and therefore can't understand why anyone would want to change anything. My kids have watched a lot of fanedits and really like them, more than the originals a lot of the time. Other than them, it's quite lonely out here. Thank goodness for this site!