PDA

View Full Version : How to Export from Vegas to External Encoder

TV's Frink
07-13-2011, 09:56 PM
I've read a couple of good options on external encoding:

1) Film Machine
2) Captain K's guide

But there seems to be a really obvious step I'm missing - how to export from Vegas to a file that the external encoder can work with. I'm working with lagarith avi and want to use an external encoder on lagarith avi, but I've been told that Vegas has a crappy encoder (at least, if you have any FX). So how do I export from Vegas without using the crappy encoder so I can then input the file into a good encoder? :?

I'm sure I'm making this more complicated than it need be.

Thanks. :)

geminigod
07-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Vegas is great encoding with the Lagarith AVI. Just re-render (check the render loop only option) the scene you need to a new lossless lagarith avi file. It is encoding to AVC or MPEG2 where the Vegas being crappy debate ensues and arguments for using external encoders begin.

That's the beauty of the lossless formats. You can transcode to a new lagarith file all day long until you are blue in the face if you so desire, and Vegas can do this like a champ with AVI. (I did read on one doom9 thread from some ultra techy geek that he ran an experiment proving some mild color inaccuracies with Lagarith, when working in the YV12 colorspace, from one generation of the file to the next whereas HuffyYUV he argued was mathematically perfect, but forget you ever heard me say that. :) Even if it was true and still is true since the May update to the Lagarith codec, for our purposes I think we can safely round any error rate to zero and consider Lagarith to be lossless! Frankly, for the added speed that Lagarith has over HuffyYUV due to the multi-core processor support, I can live with small chroma loss!)

geminigod
07-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Hopefully Vegas will encode fine to DV-AVI too, if that is the way you guys decide to go.

Brumous
07-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Project -> Render As -> Save As Type -> Video for Windows (*.avi).

The Custom button lets you alter the render settings. Set the render settings to the same settings that your original source files have.

You can find out the settings of the original source file by going to Project Properties and clicking Match Media Settings.

If you do it right, Vegas will display a "No recompression required" message in the preview window as it is rendering the avi.

Any scenes you added video effects to (like subtitles) will be re-rendered.

TV's Frink
07-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Still confused :?

As I said in the OP, I've been told several times not to use the Vegas encoder if I have any FX work. But I can't figure out a way to use an external encoder (like HCenc) without encoding from Vegas first.

Brumous
07-14-2011, 12:37 PM
I think the advice you are hearing applies to lossy formats like MPEG-2. Vegas doesn't encode MPEG-2 in as good quality as an external encoder like HCEncoder. At least, that was my experience.

You have to get your edited files exported out of Vegas one way or another, and a lossless format like Lagarith avi works quite well.

elbarto1
07-14-2011, 01:18 PM
yeah if you export a lagarith avi in/out of vegas [must have lagarith plugin installed] then you can run that through a encoder like CCE or TMPGEnc.

TV's Frink
07-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Ok, I think I understand now. You would want to use an external encoder on the Vegas exported lagarith avi when you were ready to make the DVD?

geminigod
07-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Ok, I think I understand now. You would want to use an external encoder on the Vegas exported lagarith avi when you were ready to make the DVD?

Roger that. That is what I was trying to tell you before I got way off track!

TV's Frink
07-14-2011, 11:14 PM