PDA

View Full Version : Burning DVDs With DVD-Rom Folders?

Deacon
06-01-2007, 06:22 AM
Hey. How do you guys burn dvds with dvd-rom folders?
Wud like to hear your methods.
Cheers

boon23
06-01-2007, 08:08 AM
ehm...
nero burning rom
video DVD
put video_TS folder in main directory
put DVD_Rom folder in main directory
burn as slow as you can.

Finn
06-01-2007, 08:35 AM
burn as slow as you can.

Are you being facetious boon or does this genuinely make a difference?

boon23
06-01-2007, 08:40 AM
this makes a huge difference.
the slower you burn, the less errors are caused. There are empiric statistics about this. Although it is nice a DVD burner can go at 16 times, the result produces an incredible amount of errors, which can cause the DVD to stutter, stop, have timeouts, noise glitches, etc.
4 times is as fast as you should go.

twistd101
06-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Nero can be picky with DVD-Rom content, giving you an error saying it can't add said files/folders. Just make sure the exact titling of the folder is "DVD-Rom" (and not DVD-ROM, DVD_Rom, etc...) it truly does make ALL the difference in the world. Hope this helps. And yes, I too burn @ 2.4... slow as hell, but worth it.

Finn
06-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Good to know!

My current dvd can only burn at 2x maximum, so I've had no problems.
This will change when I upgrade soon.

DoctorM
06-01-2007, 05:35 PM
I disagree. There are many who say, depending on the specific media, if you burn the DVD below it's rated speed you can actually cause more errors.

It's a crap shoot really. A little slower can't hurt but don't go nuts. I'll usually just go one setting below the rated if I'm concerned about quality.

On the flip side, I bought some really dirt cheap JVCs I can't even burn at the rated speed on my NEC3540 drive (which is a pretty good drive). 100% failure at 16x. Took a bunch of coasters before I tried 12x.

Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to burn at a couple speeds and then test your media to see what speeds are optimal for that particular make and model disc.

Btw, there are also main that say Nero garbage.
Many prefer to use ImgBurn to create an .ISO imgae from the folders. You can then burn from there.

And always check the "Verify" box on either program to make sure it's readable on your own drive.

twistd101
06-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Well, the verdict is still out. Half say as slow as possible, and half say rated speed. I for one choose slower, but I guess it's all a matter of opinion. Do what ya want hehe. But if you use Nero, one thing is for sure, make sure you label that DVD-Rom folder right!

dhr001
06-01-2007, 07:37 PM
my dvd rom folders are always labeled DVD_ROM

always works, never get a coaster

boon23
06-01-2007, 07:45 PM
same for me: DVD_ROM all the way, no problems.

twistd101
06-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Weird. Then again, I'm not 100% that DVD_ROM won't work, but I *do* know DVD-ROM will not. I have to lowercase the "O" and "M" for some reason. It's just picky is all. ;)

DVD_ROM or DVD-Rom

Hehe.

brias411
06-01-2007, 10:45 PM
I ususally burn at about 1/2 the rated speed. Haven't had too many problems with it.

C

Deacon
06-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Cheers guys. DVD-Rom or DVD_ROM.. that is the question. lol. Thanks for the help :)

DoctorM
06-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Heck I just drop crap any old place and I've never had a problem.
If it's not Video_TS or Audio_TS all 3 stand alones I've had up until now just ignore it.

twistd101
06-02-2007, 04:29 PM
It's not really a matter of standalones, it's more a problem with the burning software. It's just picky. Hell, if you just burn all the folders with Sonic in Data mode, it should work fine (at least it does on every standalone I've ever tested a disc on)...

dhr001
06-02-2007, 04:40 PM
EDIT - My post from the hackers thread in fanedit ideas, got posted here for some reason! wierd

ummm, DVD_ROM all the way!

azzrael
06-02-2007, 09:43 PM
ahem I could bring t this technical conversations some advice. (that's my gig)

there are three main factors when burning:
- the data is avalable at the time it is needed by the lengh
- the disc is steadily spining
- the gremlins are sleeping

-the gremlins
first let's talk about the gremlins:
AV software , background programs , anything really that can suddenly put a load on one of these two subsystems:
*the bus to which your burner is plugged (ide, sata , FW , USb , whatever)
*the subsystem from which your source is gathered for burning

-disc spining
(I am not taking into considerations the matter of the blank media quality)
burners , depending on which physical engin (the rotation motor) and which controler (the chip on the drive that controls the rotating engine) have various behavior:
I am talking about CLV CAV (Constant Linear Velocity versus Constant Angular Velocity)
Problems occur when the speed of the rottor changes.
meaning drives that are "underclocked" to 2X (if it's the slower speed) will burn through the whole process in CAV.

The real trick is to access the manufacturer data to see at which speed does the burner switches from CAV to CLV.

From my personal research , I have come to the conclusion that DVD-R burned at 8x are burnt at CLV on most burner. (DVD+R are different matter)

-the data is availabe:
now let's be clear about what data I am talking about: I am not talking about the data within the VIDEO_TS directory. I am talking about the data in the .ISO file that you have previously prepared.
the difference between the two is: the VIDEO_TS directory is not consitant with the redbook specifications for burning , that consitancy is computed on the fly by nero (et al). where has when your source is the .iso (.nrg , whatever) the data is already formated to redbook standard.

so on the case where you burn from the VIDEO_TS source , you need much more pipes (and cache) and computing power to burn. When you burn from an image file , you only need to maintain the flow of data (meaning you don't need as much pipes/cache and all computing power is dedicated to the handleing of the laser beam/media spining).

of course nowdays the difference between the two in terms of what's needed compared to the raw power any personal computer is capable of is *nearly* negligeable.

so to sum up lowest speed or higher speed?

answer : highest CAV speed ^^
(that figure varies from drive to drive , and from mediatype to mediatype)

google : CAV CLV site:cdfreaks.com (http://www.google.fr/search?q=clv+cav+site%3Acdfreaks.com)