PDA

View Full Version : Subtitles

Colonel Faulkner
06-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure to post it in this section, but I have a general question:

I admire the works of all Fanedit cutters, but would it be possible to integrate english subs, honestly asking without offending everyone, of course!

So far I've only seen subs on the output from CBB/Boon, I'm affiliated to subs, because for me they improve the joy due to a hard-hearing handicap.

So, if it won't be too much work (and source provides it, no question) I'd like to have subs! :-)

My kind regards to all people involved in Fanediting!

twistd101
06-02-2007, 03:16 PM
I'd love to be able to do subs (though I have yet to actually produce an edit myself). When working on my Pan's Labyrinth cut, the subs were the single hardest part of the entire ordeal. There may have been an easier way out there to do it, but the way I was doing it was painstakingly ridiculous. I agree though, subs are a nice addition, maybe Boon could share some of his secrets as he usually has English AND German subs (I think haha)... ;)

Zebedee
06-02-2007, 03:25 PM
I havent fathomed subs out yet myself.

boon23
06-02-2007, 06:46 PM
well it ain't that hard but it is tedious. It takes almost as long to add subtitles to a movie as to edit it and the reason that faneditors don't do it is this huge amount of work.
Me on the other side, i know that we have a foreign audience too and a hearing handicapped audience and it is just nice to have at leat English subtitles to understand things better, but I really doubt many will do it.
There is no way to avoid that it means a lot of work.
Here is what I do:
My subtitle tool is subtitle workshop. It ain't the best, but I am used to it, I know how to deal with its bugs and it gets the job done very well for me.

First off I am ripping the original subtitles from the DVD if available.
If not, I am searchign for subtitles on the internet and hope they match at least a bit in timing.
Next thing is that I use autogk to produce an avi from my fanedit, because subtitle workshop works way better with an avi than with a mpeg2 file.
open subtitle, open movie, keep them in sync. It is a lot of work to stay in sync, but once oyu are used to it, it works pretty well.
This is a quite short explanation.
I can get into more detail for subtitle workshop if people are interested.

twistd101
06-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Awesome. I'm cool with tedious work, but the way I was going about it was just ridiculous in comparison. Thanks for the tips.

Colonel Faulkner
06-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks for all your answers so far, especially Boon's!
To say the truth I really didn't know how much tedious work it includes, just thought it'd be simple to integrate the subs back in the fanedit... :???:

Hopefully there'll be some who'd interested in integrating subs - I personally have a few people around hanging with me looking fanedits and so ones with subs by CBB/Boon are appreciated the most either to a hard-hearing handicap like mine or in terms of general understanding... 8)

DoctorM
06-12-2007, 07:02 PM
So you use SubRip as OCR on the subpictures?

I'd love to see a full guide on this.

Here's what I'm thinking... stop me if I'm wrong:

Rip the subs using the OCR of SubRip.
Generate a avisynth script using dgdecode to index the film.
Tweak the subs with Subtitle Tool and checking the changes in any media player or vdubmod.

Sound good or should I be doing something else?

DoctorM
06-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Ew, skip subrip.
It may be better featured but if any subs went to 2 lines it couldn't read them.

I couldn't figure that out and stuck with SubResync (which although it nagged me more, was MUCH more accurate.)

boon23
06-13-2007, 12:14 AM
in my case subrip has no problems with 2 lines.
I iwll work on a detailed guide these days.
We need more subtitles :)