PDA

View Full Version : [Vegas] Why doesn't Vegas import audio from an .avi?

Toonloon
02-26-2012, 02:48 AM
I want to work on a 5.1 movie and everytime I import the XVID AC3 encoded .AVI, the audio doesn't import with it.

Any ideas please?

Neglify
02-26-2012, 03:09 AM
Well, an .avi is a container (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Video_Interleave). Its not a video format itself. And Vegas doesn't like .ac3 audio (http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/902953).

jamesianozi
02-26-2012, 05:45 AM
I had the same problem,so I converted my clip to dvd and it worked.

Toonloon
02-26-2012, 07:29 AM
What program did you use to convert your clip, jamesianozi?

jamesianozi
02-26-2012, 07:45 AM
First let me say I just started using vegas now and I had the same problem.I just used dvd video suite its a free download of many applications that are useful.It has a video converter on it as well.If that dosent work, try any video converter which is also free

TV's Frink
02-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Toon, are you using boon's Vegas guide?

Toonloon
02-26-2012, 09:56 AM
No. The ones I looked at were incomplete. I've just finished my first fan edit, so I'm reasonably familiar with what needs to be done. If I convert the film I want to work on, it goes to 2.0 stereo and I want to retain the 5.1.

EDIT - I looked at Boon's and I'd already been through that. I'm not ripping a DVD so the first few steps don't apply. And of the stuff I understand, I already tried VirtuaDub but it compresses the sound down to 2.0, which is what I had to work with to get it into Vegas. Hence the problem I have.

TV's Frink
02-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Back up a moment...why aren't you ripping a DVD?

Toonloon
02-26-2012, 10:26 AM
It's a blu-ray. And I already ripped it.

TV's Frink
02-26-2012, 10:32 AM
I don't know anything about blu editing, but I keep my audio and video separate so vdub never touches my audio. All I do is use pgcdemux to separate out the ac3 5.1 audio, then use besweet to separate out six mono wav files, and finally import the six wav files into separate Vegas tracks on the timeline.

Toonloon
02-26-2012, 10:36 AM
I got an error message at the pgcdemux site when I followed Boon's link. That was one of the things I found was incomplete. :(

TV's Frink
02-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Google is your friend.

www.videohelp.com/tools/PgcDemux

Toonloon
02-26-2012, 10:56 AM
I already said, It's an avi I'm working with. That program doesn't support avi. It wants different source formats to work with. I don't have a Blu-ray drive on my PC so my friend ripped it for me so it would fit on my data stick so I could take it, and my original blu-ray, home. When I import the avi, the sound doesn't work. If I use virtuadub to re-encode it, I lose the 5.1.

If someone can tell me a program and a format to re-encode the avi file into so it will import into vegas that would be problem solved.

TV's Frink
02-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Have you searched videohelp.com at all?

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AoA-Audio-Extractor
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Avi-to-Ac3
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffmpegGUI

Toonloon
02-26-2012, 11:15 AM
No. I was unaware of that website. Glad I asked here otherwise I wouldn't have heard of it.

TV's Frink
02-26-2012, 11:28 AM
As I said, google is your friend. I simply searched for avi to ac3 and it led me there.

Toonloon
02-26-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm sorry, but why have a forum if you just want to direct users to google? Don't you think I've already used countless searches on google to try and fix this? Is it honestly that much of a problem that I ask members here if they know how to do it to save me yet more hours of fruitless search engine searches?

I've enjoyed so much of the great work done here, and I only want to give a little back by making a couple of fan edits.

BTW, the above links I've already tried and they don't work. Two of them just converts to 2.0 stereo (as I said) and the other doesn't create anything other than it's own working file.

TV's Frink
02-26-2012, 11:36 AM
If you have already tried "countless searches on google" and you never stumbled upon videohelp.com, you need to learn how to google better.

I give up. Partly because your issue may be due to your bluray source, in which case I can be of no help, but mostly due to your attitude. I don't owe you anything, and I'm only trying to help, but you are being rather snippy.

Goodbye and good luck.

Toonloon
02-26-2012, 11:39 AM
My attitude?? You've got to be kidding haven't you, "master of lore"?

"Google is your friend". If that's not snippy, I don't know what is! "I simply searched". Why do you need the word "simply" there unless you're trying to imply that I'm either stupid of lazy, of which I am neither.

I have been to those sites, it's just that I didn't recognise the links because I've been to so many!!

Thanks anyway.

geminigod
02-27-2012, 01:53 AM
Go back to your friend's house with the bluray source you ripped. Download the free app eac3to. It includes a GUI executable that is reasonably user friendly. Use it to extract and convert an audio track to w64. If audio track is less than 4 GB, you can just use wav instead. Drag new file into Vegas timeline.

Toonloon
02-27-2012, 02:33 AM
That's a great idea. Thanks geminigod. Sadly, my friend lives in Malvern. It's a hilly area near Worcester that is famed for it's spring water, and I'm in London. I went up to see him after his gf tried to kill herself and I took some films to watch. It was there that I discussed wanting to make a better edit and he did the rip for me. It was a huge rip and he didn't have a BD writer, so he did something to the file to make it fit onto my data stick. Stupidly, I didn't ask what he did... I just let him set it up while I played Guitar Hero on his PS3.

Something Frink said got me thinking... if I can buy a DVD off ebay cheap, then I could rip the DVD following Boon's tutorial and just take the sound from the movie and add it to my new project. I suppose I should use the U.S. version of ebay, because the movie isn't out here in the UK yet and the U.S. version will be NTSC and the UK will be at PAL. Hmmm... Think I'll go check ebay and see what they're selling for.

geminigod
02-27-2012, 09:21 AM
It was a huge rip and he didn't have a BD writer, so he did something to the file to make it fit onto my data stick. Stupidly, I didn't ask what he did...

ahh, there is your first problem. Not to keep beating on you, but it is kind of a waste of everyone's time asking for help when you don't even know what formats you are working with.

Here is my constructive advice moving forward:

Step 1: Decide whether you want to edit in HD or SD.

Step 2: If you decide you want to work in HD, go buy a BD read & write drive for your computer plus a 1TB hard drive minimum. Ideally your other computer specs should be reasonably modern as well.

Step 3: When you stumble into a problem you need help with:

a) make sure you have a clear understanding of the facts surrounding your problem (i.e. formats, software, hardware, etc.). What exactly are all the details you can think of that might be pertinent to your problem in order for you or somebody else to troubleshoot.

b) Search this forum, the Internet, & Wikipedia when you have any question about anything. For example, consider the statement "AVI is not a format in and of itself. It is a container." That statement made at the beginning of this thread should immediately have you on wikipedia researching "AVI", which will then lead you down the rabbit's hole into other questions such as "what are the names of other common formats and which are "containers", which are "elementary video streams", & which are "elementary audio streams"? All of these basic questions would take us hours to explain needlessly because there is ample literature available online. Either choose to go down the rabbit hole and get ready for your head to hurt for a few weeks, or don't and be content as a valued consumer & critic of fanedits rather than a creator them.

c) When you find yourself flat-out wedged in the rabbit's hole and you can't find a way forward or back, post a question. Provide ALL relevant information (see step3, part a) that you SHOULD know prior to posting that MIGHT help the people responding to be not only more helpful for you but to also be more efficient with their own time. When appropriate, screenshots are very helpful too.

PS: Please don't ask how to take a screenshot. :)

geminigod
02-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Here is a website that should keep you busy for a couple weeks. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346