PDA

View Full Version : The Resurgance of Adventure Games

nOmArch
03-22-2012, 05:12 PM
There are three words sure to delight longtime adventure gamers: "Tex Murphy revival". For a long time that appeared to be a pipe dream, but it's finally going to become reality, as series creator Chris Jones has confirmed plans for a new game in the highly acclaimed detective series.

After teasing an upcoming announcement that fueled rampant speculation last week, now Jones has officially confirmed what many guessed (ironically making the news "official" on the (http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=2385)Unofficial Tex Murphy Web Site (http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3702)), with a video and definitive confirmation that a new Tex Murphy game is on the way. Exactly what that game will entail, however, is still to be determined. Originally the plan was for a "modest game design" with a budget suited to a small independent studio. But like the rest of us, the Tex team watched as Double Fine's Kickstarter fundraising campaign became a phenomenal success, and the idea was planted for a "larger scale" adventure.

http://youtu.be/GodOPoyNIYg

According to Jones, public funding will allow the new game, codenamed Project Fedora at the current time, to reach the "epic level" that Tex Murphy fans have come to expect. Expanded features would include "more actors, locations, broader stories and yes - even meaningful, varied story paths." And of course, the all important promise of a "true Adventure game with Immersive 3D world, Full Motion Video, and longer game play."

The Tex Murphy Kickstarter campaign won't actually begin until May 15, as the developers are still considering bonus incentives for backers, and are encouraging feedback along those lines. They're also soliciting "Tex Murphy Testimonials" from fans, some of which will be incorporated into the campaign's promotional material. Those interested in contributing should address mail to the Big Finish Games contact page (http://bigfinishgames.com/contact).

We won't know any concrete details about the game for some time (and bear in mind that Kickstarter campaigns are all-or-nothing, depending on whether the financial goal is met in its entirety), but for now it's a thrill just to know that Tex is returning in one form or another. Stay tuned!

http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=2385 (http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=2385)

havok1977
03-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Talk about a game franchise from back in the day, Under a Killing Moon back in the 486/Pentium days was such a display of multimedia with its 320p in game video with real actors! Id get my hands on a revival for sure.

Omaru1982
03-23-2012, 12:44 PM
I vaguely remember under a killing moon and how you could walk around in first person before. I'll be interested in backing them on Kickstarter, I've already made donations to 2 indiegogo projects. And if kickstarter can get this project going, I pray that the near completed toonstruck 2 revival can follow suit.

nOmArch
03-24-2012, 11:40 AM
UAKM has dated quite a bit but Pandora Directive and Overseer are still a blast to play through, I think the only news that could top this for me is if Jane Jenson announced a whole new Gabriel Knight game.

Q2
03-24-2012, 12:48 PM
I think we're going to see a new wave of classic games getting sequels/updates. As for GK, I have a feeling Sierra (owned by EA now?) has the rights so I doubt Jensen will be able to do it.

nOmArch
03-24-2012, 03:33 PM
I really hope so. I'd still give my back teeth for a new GK though.

theslime
03-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Usually, the retro gaming deal kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Thirty and fourtysomethings should read books or something (or at least play new games) and not keep a niche market of stale postmodern junk alive. Retro gaming is a lot like unnecessary band comebacks - or bad bluegrass revival bands - it only exists because there are huge swaths of the population too lazy to get into new stuff. (Sorry, just had to get this out of my system.)

This is different, though, because Aaron Conners and Chris Jones have been talking about doing this project for well over a decade now, but they've always been stopped by financial difficulties (or the weird case of Microsoft dissolving Access Software to stop their Links games from existing). Now (thanks to Kickstarter) they can finally do it, and actually finish what they started - Overseer ever ends with a cliffhanger. In short: this is the best news this month.

Aside: In 2010, I reformatted my computer, installed Windows 98, and spent weeks trying to find the arcane WinDVD drivers required to play Overseer in full DVD glory. That's how much I love the Tex Murphy games. They will never be truly dated because adventure, humour, truly well-done pastiche, and suspense are timeless qualities. HD gaming is nice and all, but story still trumps all.

Q2
03-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Aside: In 2010, I reformatted my computer, installed Windows 98, and spent weeks trying to find the arcane WinDVD drivers required to play Overseer in full DVD glory. That's how much I love the Tex Murphy games. They will never be truly dated because adventure, humour, truly well-done pastiche, and suspense are timeless qualities. HD gaming is nice and all, but story still trumps all.

It's available on GOG.com now along with all the other TM games. :)

theslime
03-26-2012, 08:16 AM
AFAIK: not the 1xDVD version. Due to the arcane mpeg2 encoding and the driver hell it introduces to any attempt at porting or virtualisation, GOG has (wisely) used the 5xCD version as their base. It looks almost as good, so no big loss.

A part of the story I didn't mention was that after weeks of trying, I gave up. :(

nOmArch
03-26-2012, 08:42 AM
one word. Dosbox.

I still have all the TM games from when I purchased them as originals I also have the GOG versions are they are so much easier to get running on modern systems.

and btw retro gaming is loads of fun, Chuckie Egg, Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Elite, Exile, Citadel, Imogen, Cholo, Starfighter 3000 etc. etc. are all great fun to play still (although it helps if you have the actual kit to play them on)

theslime
03-28-2012, 03:14 AM
Hah, I already have good Dosbox setups for playing UAKM and TPD. But Overseer is a Windows 98 game. The CD version is vaguely compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7 (enough for GOG to make a port that works), but the arcane DVD drivers really only works on a very limited selection of DVD drives and GPU/CPU architectures, and ONLY on an actual Windows 98 OS install (possibly also on Windows ME). Even with a PC from 2001 which was in more or less the right hard drive/RAM neighbourhood AND a clean Windows 98 install AND the correct DVD Express driver it still didn't work. And let me tell you, everyone who complains about driver and .dll hell today should be slapped and forced to try a clean install of Windows 98 again - we've honestly forgotten just how awful pre-XP Windows actually was (not that mac or 'nix variants were any better, mind) and just how insanely bad the Windows 98 plug-and-play experience was compared to today in general. It took me hours just to get SVGA colours to work.

nOmArch
03-28-2012, 04:52 AM
My CD copy of Overseer* works fine in XP there's a bit of a sound issue but its fairly easy to fix.

*Eidos Premier Collection version

EDIT: The PC I was using 5 years ago played it fine in XP, I still have that PC but have not tried it on any newer PC's since I now have the GOG versions.

theslime
03-29-2012, 04:11 AM
I know all that, but thanks. :)
Again, the CD version plays fine on modern windows (the sound issue was the reason I called it "vaguely compatible), but the DVD version - which is the one I have - is utterly impossible to get to work on any system that's not specifically from 1999 and still running.

I'll probably buy the GOG version, or ---EDITED BY ADMIN---, since I have the unplayable DVD version already.

---

Anyway, back on topic:

I wonder if the new project will take the Tex Murphy radio theater (http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/casefiles/radio/index.php) plot as a starting point, or if it will treat those episodes as non-canon and go off in a different direction?

For those who don't know: due to creators Aaron Conners and Chris Jones' love of the series and the fact that the Overseer cliffhanger was going to be resolved in the next game, they made a few short radio theater episodes to resolve the cliffhanger and further the plot once they realised that a new game could take years or decades to get off the ground. A nice touch from some very nice people.

Quote from the presentation of the radio theater: "And the biggest question of all: what was the fate of our hero and his leading lady? Were they really dead? Or would Tex wake up and realize it had all been a dream, like that one guy did on Dallas? Or was it something even more sinister?" LOL! I love the goofy humour of the Tex series. You can almost hear the sound of villainous mustaches being twirled while reading.

ThrowgnCpr
03-29-2012, 07:14 AM
post edited. no discussing illegal activity, plz :)

http://uberhumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Untitled-1215.png

theslime
03-29-2012, 11:38 AM
LOL! No, I don't think it is. Duly noted. :)

nOmArch
05-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Yay Project Fedora went live on Kickstarter today!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/251414413/tex-murphy-project-fedora

Already put my $100 down.

Q2
05-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Dammit. Over the last several months I have sunk so much money into Kickstarter game projects. *sigh* I guess what's one more?

Omaru1982
05-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Indeed, I missed the mark for wasteland 2, but (gamewise) I'm already invested in Shadowrun, leisure suit larry and some obscure japanese style RPG. Tex shall get my fund too.

nOmArch
05-15-2012, 05:08 PM
yeah I've also bunged money into Larry as well as Portal Reborn V2.0, Two Guys from Andromeda Project and the Jane Jensen Project.

P&C Adventures are looking good! :)

nOmArch
05-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Yay! Everyone so far has hit their funding and then some 8-), Tex still has a little over three weeks to run but the pot is increasing $10000-15000 a day so should make it over the line with a few days to spare.

theslime
05-24-2012, 03:36 AM
Looking good! I'll pledge 30 or so later today.

nOmArch
06-07-2012, 06:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j9QeUoPOi4

Last night Tex made it over the line to the magic $450,000. Stretch goals haven't been announced yet should make some interesting viewing when they release their update later on today.

This just leaves The Two Guys from Andromeda's kickstarter as the only one of the old school revivals to not reach their target. If you have even a passing interest in P&C adventure gaming please for the love of Roger nip over there and donate some of your hard earned to get this project funded.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spaceventure/two-guys-spaceventure-by-the-creators-of-space-que (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spaceventure/two-guys-spaceventure-by-the-creators-of-space-que)

theslime
06-07-2012, 09:23 AM
w00t! It's on!

nOmArch
06-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Like Donkey Kong 8-)

Q2
06-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Now if only the Two Guys from Andromeda got their last bit. Only 4 days left!

nOmArch
06-07-2012, 11:20 AM
$140,000 in three days is going to be tight, hence my plea to people to donate above.

Ahh well done my part gone and upped pledge to $150.

nOmArch
06-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Yay! The 2 Guys just made their target with 20 hours to go!

Q2
06-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Yay! The 2 Guys just made their target with 20 hours to go!

Whew! I was getting nervous there. I have to say out of all the classic designers these two I'm most hopeful for. I grew up with the Space Quest series, and I vividly remember rushing to the computer store after school to pick up the latest release for my Amiga. Oh the memories...

Omaru1982
06-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Awesome stuff, its funny we just had E3 and I'm psyched to see all these classic developers with their humble budgets more than I am for 98% of the stuff presented there.

nOmArch
06-12-2012, 05:59 AM
Yes very pleased for the 2 guys, looks like next year could be the adventure renaissance we've been waiting for all these years.

I'm most excited about Project Fedora and Double Fine's adventure as they hold the fondest memories for me but god damn getting SpaceVenture, Larry Reloaded, Kings Quest AND Moebius as well is just the icing on the cake.

All that needs to happen now is for the awful Sam Suede to bomb massively so Steve Ince can do the decent thing and start working with Revolution on a new Broken Sword.

Oh and more Monkey Island please TT :-)

Q2
06-12-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm most excited about Project Fedora and Double Fine's adventure as they hold the fondest memories for me but god damn getting SpaceVenture, Larry Reloaded, Kings Quest AND Moebius as well is just the icing on the cake.

Whazzat now? King's Quest is getting a new lease on life too? How did I miss that!

nOmArch
06-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Yeah TT are doing it, it was announced last year at the same time as Walking Dead/Jurassic Park.

Roberta Williams will not be involved; although that may change since the adventure climate finally seems to be thawing out, and they did get a certain M. J. Fox & Claudia Wells on board with BTTF. either way fingers crossed.

nOmArch
06-15-2012, 07:06 AM
http://www.twitch.tv/andromedaguys/b/321377637

Two Guys wrap party for SpaceVenture, unintentional comedy gold as Scott and Mark obviously have no idea about social media plus they are blatantly getting hammered all the way through.

'I like ponies'

'Who wants to ride my horn?'

'Prove you're ladies!'

'Chris is a dick'

'Who cares about the French'

'stretch goals? stretch marks!'

'My moms locked in the other room and if she wakes up I'll hit her with a mallet.

'BOOOOOOOBS'

'I need a German!'

'How many people have nipple rings? Raise your hands!'

'I did nothing to your cats.'

nOmArch
06-15-2012, 12:12 PM
With just under 12 hours to go Tex has made the 30% stretch goal of $585,000 which means we're gonna get lots more gameplay, better actors, professionally recorded soundtrack with real instruments/musicians and a musical number for Tex plus since Access Software made many golf sims back in the day they're gonna throw one in to play when you get bored of sleuthing and need to flex your 7 iron instead of your brain.

in other news Sam Suede, after nearly a month of campaigning, has made only $11,000 of $500,000. ROFLMAO 8-)

Omaru1982
06-15-2012, 02:19 PM
eminds me I still haven't played Soo blond or the runaway trilogy yet, and I bought them about 2 years ago but my PC wasn't quite powerful enough to run them at the time.

nOmArch
06-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Well this sucks.

Apparently Jane Jensen has stated in an interview that Moebius and Mystery Game X (smart money is on a GK1 Remake) will both be primarily developed for Ipad with support for PC/Mac.

What this means is that iOS will be the development platform and as such the game engine will be considerably less complex, the controls will be optimised for touch operation and textures, samples and other assets will need to be highly optimised due to limited storage on tablets.

In other words the games are going to suck compared to what they could be if developed on the proper platform.

I have asked for clarification from the admins over at pinkerton road as I think this could cause a bit of a stir.

Q2
06-20-2012, 08:04 AM
I changed the thread title since its more than Tex Murphy at this point. Hope that's okay with the OP.

As for development for iPad first I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. iPad uses Object-C, a variation of the C language. From what I uunderstandings easier to port from Object-C to C or C++, whatever the standard is on Windowss. And if their games adhere to the standard point-and-click adventure format it's perfect. Instead of a mouse you use your finger. Same principle. From a business sense it makes sense: your game is available on more platforms at less cost. And anything to jump start the adventure game is good in my book!

nOmArch
08-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Blimey, somebody up there must of been listening! I have great pleasure in announcing that a new Broken Sword game has gone live on Kickstarter!! 8-)

Here's the link

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165500047/broken-sword-the-serpents-curse-adventure

Omaru1982
08-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Blimey, somebody up there must of been listening! I have great pleasure in announcing that a new Broken Sword game has gone live on Kickstarter!! 8-)

Here's the link

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165500047/broken-sword-the-serpents-curse-adventure

Saw this yesterday and only just thought to come here to mention it :)
I've replayed 1&2 countless times, beat BS3 twice on the ps2 but never finished 4, I also played 2.5 twice (that's a fan-made interquel)

I pretty much handed over my $100 before I even watched the promo video on the page, watching that after just made me really glad I did.

nOmArch
08-25-2012, 04:20 AM
Yeah they had me at a new broken sword game.

Can't say I really enjoyed 2.5, a great effort for a fan game but something just wasn't quite right.

Omaru1982
08-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Can't say I really enjoyed 2.5, a great effort for a fan game but something just wasn't quite right.

European George and his pronounciation of english words? that and some of the animations not being shown but implied (george ignites some explosion... screen goes blank... loud bang is heard... next scene)
Funnily enough though, I always liked the nico voice in 2.5 more than the ones from 1 & 2, I can't remember 3's too well.

nOmArch
08-25-2012, 03:59 PM
That and the gameplay just felt off balance somehow some things were intuitive some things definitely weren't. I can't give any examples I'm afraid as it was a while ago that I played it but I definitely did not enjoy it as much as I hoped I would.

nOmArch
09-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Well Broken Sword has just got funded and it smashed the granny out of the pledge total and finally made $819,143!

nOmArch
02-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Woooot Larry Alpha dropped today.

Not that I'm going to play it.

Omaru1982
02-16-2013, 02:29 PM
yeah i got that email and was waiting for my alpha url... then it dawned on me that's not the tier I chose.