PDA

View Full Version : Safely split an .avi file.

DoctorM
09-17-2007, 06:17 PM
I have an HD Xvid file with DTS audio that I'm using for a personal HD2DVD project.

I'd like to make a back up of the original Xvid in case I need it later for some other purpose.

The file comes in at 5.33gb. I'd rather not waste a dual layer disc on it.

Does anyone know a lossless way to split an avi file like this, without damage, that will allow me to reassemble it later on my HDD should I need it?

Also would the split files be playable as well?

I'm aware it can be split using VDub, but I suspect that isn't without damage.

boon23
09-17-2007, 06:43 PM
you can split it with winrar. It is not watchable that way, but can be united back whenever you want to.

joebshmoe
09-17-2007, 06:58 PM
yeah you'll need a container like rar (or tar, zip, etc.) and do a binary split rather than having a few video files...

Sprug's decapitated head
09-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Using the newest version of TMPGEnc DVD author would also work, as it supports the xvid format. You can set the end frame where you want so it'll fit on a single layer DVD (preferably perhaps a few seconds over normal to assure no frames are lost at the end) , write that to a folder, burn it to disc, do the second half the same way. This method is lossless, and immediately accessible to watch as a DVD. The files can later be ripped back to mpeg-2 using VOB2MPG, or any other preferred ripper.

DoctorM
09-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I was sort of thinking winrar was my best answer.
I was hoping to have some playback ability, but to tell you the truth the original avi needed some work before it made a good DVD.
It was way to dark and the colors were skewed.

I suppose if I really want HD playback I should recode with the same filters in x264 at DVD5 size AND archive using .rar.

Sdh: Sorry if I was unclear. I want to archive the original Xvid.
The DVD will be burned normally.