PDA

View Full Version : Workprint length.

Type12point
11-28-2007, 09:30 AM
As a rookie who's halfway through his first edit, I've been looing through all the how-to's I can find--including ADigitalMan's here at FE.Org--and I have a question I haven't seen an answer to (or perhaps I'm missing the obvious; I apologize if so). Are most fan editors editing the entire movie in one go/timeline?

(I've posted a similar question in the Mac OS Software Exchange thread, since I'm using Final Cut, but I think this is cross-platform and worthy of its own thread.)

So, are folks generating "chunks" of movies (10 min at a go, 30, whatever) and then stitching them together as MPEGS or VOBs or what have you, or do most of you edit straight through and then render/burn? I have a good machine, but I don't want to go through another week and a half or work only to have glitches and crashes as the length of the edit grows.

boon23
11-28-2007, 09:56 AM
I am editing the entire movie in one go, no matter how many sources I use.
But for my prison break project, I am going a different route, inspired by Peter Jackson's takes on LOTR. I am creating one basic draft, which will be way to long and then cut on from there, until I have reached my final length and version. This coudl be a 3 to 4 step editing process.

ThrowgnCpr
11-28-2007, 10:33 AM
I also edit in one go. Currently for the X-Files project I am working on, I have added 3 episodes chronologically on the editing timeline and cut and move from there.

Tubes
11-28-2007, 10:36 AM
I edit it all in one go. For the branching DVD project, though, I break all the pieces up. I started with one piece, then when the split is supposed to happen, I end that timeline and start two new ones to indicate the branching paths. Then start a third one where the two paths meet again.

Type12point
11-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Well, that's a pretty strong concensus for a start, although I wont be trying any branching work any time soon. :)

I guess I'll put my worries on hold and deal with any major issues when they happen!

Aztek463
11-28-2007, 05:17 PM
All in one go. Usually as long as you're careful, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

tranzor
12-01-2007, 10:06 PM
depends on what I am doing. In some cases I have used both methods. Depends on what your editing and what app you are using to do the job