Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers 2

News Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Transformers 2

Thus joebshmoe spake his final words, before venturing into the fantastic and dangerous world of an IMAX screening of a Michael Bay movie.

He never returned.
    Editing something.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Kermodo review of TRANS 2:

[youtube:1hah0an8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_D2XKRbYmM[/youtube:1hah0an8]
    "You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'" - George Bernard Shaw.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

At this point, it seems to me that dissing Transformers 2 is just the cool thing to do. I mean, FFS, it was never meant to be The Godfather. If you can't go into Transformers and enjoy it at a base level, you're way too wound up. Of course some of the movie was fucking stupid, that's because it's partially a movie for kids, and kids are... well, stupid, in what makes them laugh. Show me any other Sci-fi action blockbuster that doesn't have plot holes. You have suspend your belief to enjoy any of them. I'm not a Transformers apologist, I would have preferred several aspects of the films to be radically different, I'm just bothered by the fact that people have chosen TF to be the punching bag in a year when Wolverine and Pink Panther 2 came out.

I guess it's just a given when you're the biggest show in town.

That said, I can't wait to edit the hell out of TF2!
    You're an adult. Just cope.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very well put. Agreed.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reave
    Of course some of the movie was fucking stupid, that's because it's partially a movie for kids, and kids are... well, stupid, in what makes them laugh. Show me any other Sci-fi action blockbuster that doesn't have plot holes. You have suspend your belief to enjoy any of them. I'm not a Transformers apologist, I would have preferred several aspects of the films to be radically different, I'm just bothered by the fact that people have chosen TF to be the punching bag in a year when Wolverine and Pink Panther 2 came out.
    I don't buy for a single, damn second that Bay wrote this as a children's or "kids" film - not with all the drug/sex/scatological jokes, the misogynistic sexualization of young women, the idiotic racist stereotypes that I never would've expected to see in this day and age, the inane and at times nonsensical plot, and the terrible characters that are so poorly concieved that they are in fact less than one-dimensional.
    **Completed Fanedits**
    A.I. [super-toys last all summer long]
    Star Wars: Attack of the Federation
    Star Wars: Twilight of the Republic
    Star Wars: The Black Knight Rises
    Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye
    The Matrix Evolutions
    Pulse: Red Tape Remix
    Star Wars: Shadows of the Old Republic
    Pandora

News Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have to admit, once the credits rolled, I thought "I can't wait to edit this movie back into something great."

News Credit
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonN
    Quote Originally Posted by reave
    Of course some of the movie was fucking stupid, that's because it's partially a movie for kids, and kids are... well, stupid, in what makes them laugh. Show me any other Sci-fi action blockbuster that doesn't have plot holes. You have suspend your belief to enjoy any of them. I'm not a Transformers apologist, I would have preferred several aspects of the films to be radically different, I'm just bothered by the fact that people have chosen TF to be the punching bag in a year when Wolverine and Pink Panther 2 came out.
    I don't buy for a single, damn second that Bay wrote this as a children's or "kids" film - not with all the drug/sex/scatological jokes, the misogynistic sexualization of young women, the idiotic racist stereotypes that I never would've expected to see in this day and age, the inane and at times nonsensical plot, and the terrible characters that are so poorly concieved that they are in fact less than one-dimensional.
    Very well put. Agreed.
    "You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'" - George Bernard Shaw.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

I think that's a bit much. I mean, we still have hot girls and gangsta wannabes in the world last time I checked.

And Bay didn't write it, the Wonder Twins, Orci and Kurtzman did. You can't tell me that the slapstick humor all over TF was not aimed squarely at kids.

I mean really, I don't care.... hate it, it's your right, and it's not hard to do. But I think the cries of misogyny and racism are a bit knee-jerk and PC. There are black AND white (and all the other "colors") people all over the world that talk and act like the Twins, that doesn't make it a racist portrayal. If they were chomping on watermelon and fried chicken, then I think you would have a case. I think they were made the way they are to appeal to young kids and to the "urban" population. Just watch TV for 15 minutes, and you'll see all kinds of hip-hop and urban advertisements and programming.

I have 2 black friends who have gone to see TF, and they were not offended in the slightest bit. I have heard no cries of racism from any black leaders, and believe me, if Al Sharpton can find something to call racist, he's on it.

I'll agree with you that they're pretty stupid characters, but they're really just a representation of the current time. If TF was made in the 70's it would have been a pair of dumb stoner 'bots.

What I really can't get, is how Bay can make 2 of his personal favorite movies starring black leads, and have great black characters in all the rest of his films to date, and still get the racist thing.

As far as the misogyny goes, sex sells. Sad but true. Do you think Woody Allen has Scarlett Johanssen in his movies because he thinks that she's a true master of the craft? No. He likes her face and body, and she happens to be a somewhat decent actress. I think Mikaela is made out to be a pretty tough cookie, not the screaming little girl that women have been made out to be in the past. By the way, nice avatar, killbillme.

Anyway, most of this won't matter when I start hacking away at it.

Peace.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Welcome to the boards, OTVader!

News Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks GAD for review. I wonder why I knew it all long time before premiere of Trans2. It is M.Bay nad I doubt he will ever change (....and I dont care really). At some topic elbarto1 and joebshmoe discussed why people likes dumb movies.... my question reave is why people justify them.