Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    News Credit
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

It reads the film information from the corresponding .ifo file on the disc, then extracts the film from the .ifo you want. I discovered it by accident when ripping Full Metal Jacket.
    I dont know what's in there, but it's weird and pissed off!

News Credit
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JetSetWilly View Post
    Oh, I own the source material, don't worry about that. It's my bad, I worded it wrong. I'd just finished work when I wrote that, and I nearly smashed my face on the keyboard falling asleep . Anyway, I rip my files straight off the disc using PGCDemux, then encoding it via VirtualDubMod, and it gives a nice, crisp picture, while outputting a file of roughly 1.5GB. The files I've got from the Rocky and Rocky II discs are quite good.

So, 7.5GB sounds about right, then for a 2hr 40min video? Good, I thought I was doing something wrong. Cheers.
    If virtualdubmod is outputting a file size of 1.5GB for a Rocky movie, something is not right, me thinks... But I could be wrong. Whatever. If you think the picture looks good and you aren't having any editing problems, carry on my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by tv's frink
    since when is pgcdemux a ripper?

"Demux" "rip" whatever. People seem to use them inter-changeably. Though you make a good point that it is probably more proper to use "rip" in reference to doing a re-encode to a new format.
    Projects Completed:
    Matrix Revolutions - The Epic Edition
    The Two Towers Rebuilt

Projects truly In the Works:
    Star Trek (2009): Gem Edition

Projects kinda sorta conceptually In The Works:
    Riddick: The Chronicles
    Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi
    Who Watches The Watchmen

News Credit
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

News Credit
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Lol. Yeah I've heard it used in that connotation too. Actually that probably is the best use for that term since I can't think of a good substitute word!
    Projects Completed:
    The Two Towers Rebuilt

Who Watches The Watchmen

News Credit
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

Just want to ask, I'm trying to render my cut of Rocky, but everytime I do it, it comes out between 7 - 7.8GB in size. The films are in 2.0 audio (at least I think they are), but it's just too big a file. The original rips themselves are about 1 1/2GB in size each. Idealy, I want to output in MPEG2 or .avi, but each time it's coming out the same size. Any recommendations on settings (I don't really change them as I'm not sure what I'm doing when rendering with Vegas).
    You should know if the audio is 2.0. Just FYI, it usually says on the back of the DVD case near the bottom, or you can use a free app "MediaInfo" which will analyze the movie and tell you.

Anyway, I rip my files straight off the disc using PGCDemux, then encoding it via VirtualDubMod, and it gives a nice, crisp picture, while outputting a file of roughly 1.5GB. The files I've got from the Rocky and Rocky II discs are quite good.
    Not sure why you'd want to do this, by encoding using VirtualDubMod your causing an unnecessary drop in picture quality.
    Last edited by Gatos; 07-29-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    >>>Completed Edits<<<
    Currently Editing: Taxi Driver Rescored (Refn/Drive/Cliff Martinez Style)
    On Hold: Tampopo - The Noodle Western Edition

"I used Adobe Premiere, I like to do a little weekend editing. I recently just cut 3 minutes out of Goodfellas."

News Credit
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gatos View Post
    Not sure why you'd want to do this, by encoding using VirtualDubMod your causing an unnecessary drop in picture quality.
    I use this because by using PGCDemux, I'm left with an audio file and an audio file. I tried just bunging them into Vegas just they are, but Vegas doesn't like them at all.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

I use this because by using PGCDemux, I'm left with an audio file and an audio file. I tried just bunging them into Vegas just they are, but Vegas doesn't like them at all.
    Do you mean an audio file and a video file?

I've never used Vegas but I'm pretty sure Vegas needs lagarith avi.
    >>>Completed Edits<<<
    Currently Editing: Taxi Driver Rescored (Refn/Drive/Cliff Martinez Style)
    On Hold: Tampopo - The Noodle Western Edition

"I used Adobe Premiere, I like to do a little weekend editing. I recently just cut 3 minutes out of Goodfellas."

News Credit
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Not a good sign when you don't know how many channels there are in your audio. If your edit is almost done and you think it looks and sounds good, then just roll with it I guess, but I strongly advise to research a better workflow for future edits.

I'm haven't looked very carefully to see exactly what this Boon's guide says, but keep in mind that it was written back in 2009 and may be a bit outdated. Is this what you have been following for your workflow?
    Projects Completed:
    The Two Towers Rebuilt

Who Watches The Watchmen

News Credit
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by geminigod View Post
    Not a good sign when you don't know how many channels there are in your audio. If your edit is almost done and you think it looks and sounds good, then just roll with it I guess, but I strongly advise to research a better workflow for future edits.

I'm haven't looked very carefully to see exactly what this Boon's guide says, but keep in mind that it was written back in 2009 and may be a bit outdated. Is this what you have been following for your workflow?
    I've just been using it when I've been stuck, that could be where I've been going wrong. It does sound alright, and looks good, but I don't want to look towards releasing it if it's going to look shoddy to everyone else. I'd rather deliver something of good quality, than something cheap. I might scrap it for now, and come back to it later.
    Last edited by JetSetWilly; 07-29-2012 at 03:30 PM.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Having some problems with this and was hoping for some help.

I ripped my movie (NTSC) as usual with DVDFab, and then followed the guide with PgcDemux with no problems. Now I put the video into Virtual Dub 1.9 and select compression>Lagarith Lossless Codec. Next I select save as AVI and it exports seemingly with no problems. However, when the video is finished its no longer fully 16:9 but not really 4:3 either and is squished a bit. Is there something I'm doing wrong that I'm not aware of? I've used a similar method before with no problem, but this is my first time following the method as Boon has done it.