Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    News Credit
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Moore View Post
    I just saw this today. Pretty cool.

Although you gotta wonder how a society like this can spring up with the games lasting for 73 years, and not once do the district residents 1) refuse to watch, so ratings will plummet, 2) refuse to participate in the Reaping, 3) protect the tributes from being taken away, 4) kill the Capitol representatives on live television, or 5) refuse to produce resources, thereby starving the Capitol.

Also, this "nation" has a population of around 100,000 people. What about everybody else in the world? Why doesn't some other nation or coalition of nations invade and put a stop to this crap?

I've read only the first page of this thread, so apologies if these have been mentioned already, but let me add "The Lottery" and "Logan's Run" to the list of inspirations.
    the system starts to fall apart as soon as you think about it, that's why most of the survival movies never ponder on that for a long time and use it as a kickstart for a survival movie and a meditation on the animal nature of humans - but with this one has to go through about 1 hour of pretending this thing could actually exist in this specific matter.

seriously if it is about making a statement about entertainment then it would be more "logical" to watch adults kill each other off than going full deranged watching kids
    Things I'd kill for:
    1. Saw footage without blur filters
    2. Shared Dark Tower movie universe

News Credit
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frantic Canadian View Post
    As far as I know the similarities aren't about the style, but about the fact that this is another film franchise based on novels aimed at teenage girls. And if you doubt that they're aiming this at teenage girls would you like to explain to me why they're apparently marketing a make-up line based on the film?
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostar View Post
    I don't doubt one bit that they are marketing this at teenage girls, I just dont think that the movie was made particularly with teenage girls in mind. I also think it's probably a little too high concept for the majority of girls who are crazy about the Twilight films. Which certainly after the first one, were made with teenage girls in mind. I actually think it's a mistake to market The Hunger Games toward teenage girls, as the boys who turned out to watch the first installment might get turned off watching the sequels. But you try telling the media and the studios to apply a little common sense to things and you might as well just bang your head against a brick wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swarles View Post
    Just because they are marketing the film to teenage girls doesn't mean they made the film for teenage girls. Now that Hollywood knows that the teen girl demographic can bring in serious cash (eg. Twilight), they are trying to get that same audience in to see these movies.
    ^ What Metrostar and Swarles said. Who cares about how a movie is marketed really? Its all smoke, mirrors and hogwash IMO. At the end of the day the meat of any movie is what matters.And yeah, lousy shaky cam!
    --
    :Fortes fortuna adiuvat:

My edits:

Codename : Wolverine
    Flash Gordon Savior of the Earth

News Credit
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    ^ What Metrostar and Swarles said. Who cares about how a movie is marketed really? Its all smoke, mirrors and hogwash IMO. At the end of the day the meat of any movie is what matters.And yeah, lousy shaky cam!
    yeah, if we were to judge a movie by its marketing avengers would be on par with power rangers

Things I'd kill for:
    1. Saw footage without blur filters
    2. Shared Dark Tower movie universe

News Credit
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Ok, I caved to the pop culture madness. While driving across the country I listened to the audio book of Hunger games and then watched the movie with my mom immediately after.

This is a rare occasion where I feel strongly that the movie has far exceeded the book. I felt like the book had some semi-original ideas but was overall poorly written and executed. The movie corrected many of the flaws of the book and presented a much more intelligent version of the story that is more believable, drags less, and is less Twilight-esque. Also Jennifer Lawrence does an excellent job selling the character.
    Projects Completed:
    Matrix Revolutions - The Epic Edition
    The Two Towers Rebuilt

Projects truly In the Works:
    Star Trek (2009): Gem Edition

Projects kinda sorta conceptually In The Works:
    Riddick: The Chronicles
    Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi
    Who Watches The Watchmen

News Credit
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members like this post.
    what a pile of shit.
    Completed ---------------------
    Die Hard 2: Terror Storm
    Klone (Space Consecution)
    True Lies: Straight Faced Edition
    Up In The Air: Extended Edition

News Credit
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elbarto1 View Post
    what a pile of shit.
    that three note mockjay tune is my new ringtone!

Spoiler:
    ha, who am i kidding, i wouldn't even know how to customize a ringtone. *puts new CD into Discman*
    >>>Completed Edits<<<
    Currently Editing: Taxi Driver Rescored (Refn/Drive/Cliff Martinez Style)
    On Hold: Tampopo - The Noodle Western Edition

"I used Adobe Premiere, I like to do a little weekend editing. I recently just cut 3 minutes out of Goodfellas."

News Credit
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I was all psyched because of solid word of mouth from trusted people, hell even jay and mike from half in the bag liked it. I guess i was too hyped for a solid scifi dystopian story. I felt the whole movie felt dumbed down and geared toward children...which is ok I guess, but everything simple to understand was overly explained and heavy handed while interesting things were left completely or very under-explained/developed. I just didnt care at all. as soon as the shakey cam started i said "oh not one of these" then there was tons of illogical reactions to [mostly offscreen] atrocities and lots of time standing around wasting time when the characters should be running for their lives. the whole thing just fell flat IMO and its a shame because I was really expecting to see a decent movie. Had I heard alot of negative things and had low expectations going in I think I would have enjoyed it more; but in this case I wasnt entertained or impressed.
    Completed ---------------------
    Die Hard 2: Terror Storm
    Klone (Space Consecution)
    True Lies: Straight Faced Edition
    Up In The Air: Extended Edition

News Credit
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

A film this bad really needs Jake Busey in it if it's going to work.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I've read the books and to me the film is weaker, not because of the lack of gore, but it's hard to even tell people are getting killed with the shakey cam and lack of blood. I understand that katnis doesn't sit around in trees for days doing nothing and dehydrating because the film obviously needs to have a different pace. I loved the lack of soundtrack, there was no need for dramatic music because they were trying to sell the reality TV-esque feel of the games and that worked very well in it's favour.

but heres a few things I'd at least get rid of.
    The talk of statistics, no ne dies of starvation or thirst or other natural causes making the speech redundant. I'd lose the flashbacks with Cinna explaining why she needs to look good, and the market scene with the mokingjay brooch. Show them the first time, but the repetitions are annoying and unecessary.

And probably if this was TMBTM's edit, i'd hope he adds just a little more gore to set the tone.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Hunger Games? Believe me, I wasnt hungry for it.

I saw this film not to long ago at my nearest drive-in. It had to be one of the boring and stupidest films I had ever seen (The young girl was beautiful and if I would have been her age I would of really liked her). The plot was asinine and pointless, and the only thing that I was doing was rolling my eyes and waiting for it to end.