Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    News Credit
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Google WeVideo allows video editors to collaborate thru the Internet!

I just saw this on another forum. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks pretty amazing.

Google will host your video on an Internet "cloud," and you can work on your edit with people in another town or state (or possibly even another country).

Can you imagine what this tool will do for fan editing - the possibilities that it opens up for collaborations?

My brain is just exploding with the possibilities at this moment!

News Credit
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I can actually see "them" using this tool to spy on people to see exactly what they are doing and if it violates some sort of copyright. Would just make it easier for them to find you
    STILL AVAILABLE- only 2 left Fanedit.org skateboards
    for skating or decoratvie purposes- shoot me a PM
    probably never coming soon:
    Taxi Driver in a Damaged Brain, EL Topo: ripping the guts out and
    Escape from Doomsday: 2019

News Credit
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tranzor View Post
    I can actually see "them" using this tool to spy on people to see exactly what they are doing and if it violates some sort of copyright. Would just make it easier for them to find you
    Good point Captain Buzzkill.

Spoiler:

Go then, there are other worlds than these.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't looked at it yet, but I can't imagine them not allowing you to make your videos private and only viewable by those with a direct link.
    In the Works:Star Wars | Attack of the Clones, LoE, RotS, Last of the Jedi
    Long Gestating: ASoIaF: AGoT

News Credit
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delpheas View Post
    I haven't looked at it yet, but I can't imagine them not allowing you to make your videos private and only viewable by those with a direct link.
    you mean like here?
    STILL AVAILABLE- only 2 left Fanedit.org skateboards
    for skating or decoratvie purposes- shoot me a PM
    probably never coming soon:
    Taxi Driver in a Damaged Brain, EL Topo: ripping the guts out and
    Escape from Doomsday: 2019

News Credit
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I love this development. This is another step in Google's plans to make the browser the hub of everything that happens on a computer. The first ChromeBooks came out too early to be truly useful, but with the upgraded Google Drive and prosumer-quality image editing webapps, the future of most things desktop will be web. If the Google Play Store takes off, streaming movie rentals can take place through a HTML5 browser.

Of course, Google makes this to make money from the web and to make Chrome OS truly useful (one key criticism against a ChromeBook was the utter lack of video editing apps) so they can eat into Microsoft's and Apple's duopoly on desktop OS'es, but they're making the web a better and more useful place in the process.

Also, I think another of Google's reasons for doing this is making people buy extra Google Drive storage space. It's hard to collaborate on video projects on a 5 gigabyte quota. I'm fine with this. If a service is good enough, I don't have a problem with giving the creator some cash.

Are there privacy concerns? Sure. Still, even if it's a cloud-based storage service, your files are "private". It's not YouTube, so I think fanedits would be safe. (I haven't read the EULA of Drive properly, though.)

Still, I can't help feeling that with this (and other related developments, like Google Drive in general and the new version of Chrome OS) Google is raising the bar on web services, and it's up to the rest if they want to follow.
    Last edited by theslime; 05-04-2012 at 06:19 AM.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Wow. I hadn't thought of all of those points. That's a very well articulated piece that covers all sides of the issue, theslime. Well said!

News Credit
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So you have to use Google's built in editor to edit your files? I would have though it will be pretty basic and probably not the best tool to be fanediting with.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    There was another cloud editor out a few months back that seemed like it was better quality. I'll stick to my hard drives, thanks.
    You're an adult. Just cope.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)