Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    News Credit
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It's a start, people. No one should be expecting miracles from a cloud/browser-based collaborative video editing, at least not yet. This will mainly compete with iMovie and Windows Movie Maker. And honestly, it probably won't take a lot of development to get to their level. It might be better than WMM already, for all I know. The fact is that up until, well, 2012 a true cloud and browser based collaborative NLE seemed like science fiction. Now it's here, so I'm not surprised it's not a Vegas replacement.

So you have to use Google's built in editor to edit your files?
    That is kinda, well, the point. I guess you could try storing your project files on Google Drive and use Vegas instead, but it wouldn't be possible to do actual real-time collaboration, which is what this project is all about.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theslime View Post
    It's a start, people. No one should be expecting miracles from a cloud/browser-based collaborative video editing, at least not yet.
    All good points.

I was mainly annoyed that I can't delete something I put up there. I added a video file that's showing all subtitles. Since there's such limited space, I tried to get rid of it for a different format of the same video, which hopefully wouldn't have the subtitles in it. I right-clicked on the file. No options for deleting. I looked at the top menu. No options for deleting.

I looked at the Help menu. I have to log in to the wevideo.com site just in order to do one deletion. I tried logging in with my Google password, but it doesn't work. So it seems that I have to create a new account just for this site - all to make one deletion, an operation that should be so simple that even my Ulead can do it without all this silly runaround.

Ironically, Google has its good reputation in everything else it's done for being the most user-friendly and for being the most compatible with every other program. I guess they still have to work out a few bugs on this one.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I didn't mean to sound like a fanboy. If it sucks, it sucks. Google has a history of releasing beta products, for better or for worse. Also, the more I look into it, the more it seems WeVideo isn't actually a Google product - it's a product that uses Google Drive as its data collaboration backend and Chrome as a frontend. Obviously it's a partnership, but WeVideo is a separate entity, I believe. That might also be the reason your Google password didn't work. I guess you'll have to register for WeVideo too.
    Last edited by theslime; 05-07-2012 at 09:34 AM.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

News Credit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theslime View Post
    That is kinda, well, the point. I guess you could try storing your project files on Google Drive and use Vegas instead, but it wouldn't be possible to do actual real-time collaboration, which is what this project is all about.
    I thought sharing project files was what this was all about. Storing the files online to be edited by multiple collaborators in a Premiere/ Vegas would be great if it worked smoothly. How is it possible to do real-time collaboration wevideo? How could you have more than one person editing the same project at the same time? I would have thought that any editing collaboration would be taken in turns by the editors, that being the case, why bother with wevideo.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    You could share project files in a trillion different ways already, Dropbox, SpiderOak, Wuala, SkyDrive, etc. WeVideo attempts (badly, it seems, at least for the time being) to take this one step further and feature something closer to realtime collaboration.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by booshman View Post
    I thought sharing project files was what this was all about. Storing the files online to be edited by multiple collaborators in a Premiere/ Vegas would be great if it worked smoothly. How is it possible to do real-time collaboration wevideo? How could you have more than one person editing the same project at the same time? I would have thought that any editing collaboration would be taken in turns by the editors, that being the case, why bother with wevideo.
    I don't think any video editor, ever, anywhere, could allow people to edit at the same time. You could be making different changes to the same parts unintentionally! But rather than re-uploading and sending a new file to someone every time you change 30 seconds of the product, the file is always up there already on the site. And you don't have to worry about not having the same kind of editing software as the other person.

At least, that's the ideal. Maybe when WeVideo gets some of the kinks worked out, that's what it will be.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    It would more likely act as a content system and manipulation platform. Like programming a module of code, someone on the team would likely check out parts to work on. During such time that portion would be locked out, preventing others from making changes. Also, to be workable this thing would need dynamic ability to save a ton of versions due to the collaborative dynamic that they are seeking to create.

It may not be a system that works for everyone or every situation, but over time this has a lot of potential in terms of furthering the general mentality of moving away from local terminals with brains and replicated software etc to a more centralized use of resource. I'm not saying that this is a good thing, or a bad thing as there are pluses and minuses, but there is no denying that technology is moving away from the stand-alone model to a satellite model.

What I do like is that this implies a shift towards in handling media in terms that the younger generation wants, access to their resources online, from anywhere, via multiple connection platforms (PC, Tablet etc), but that includes a shift in the media itself. If anything I see this as helping shift the paradigm (yes, I used the P word) of media corporations away their outdated distribution model.

News Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It would be fun to do something with a movie like they did with star wars uncut, only without re-shooting anything, only individuals would re-edit whole scenes timed pretty much the same, and then someone could stitch them altogether where they go. How it would look, who knows, but I would say leave it completely open to use any footage from any of the films.

Eh, maybe its too convoluted.