W.M.D. William Must Die http://www.fanedit.org/ifdb/media/reviews/photos/thumbnail/300x300s/4e/61/15/WMD-front-44-1366315616.jpg
- Cut out chapter titles.
- Cut out O-Ren's backstory.
- Cut out Esteban Vihaio.
- Many more cuts and trims.
This is my favorite Kill Bill edit, everything's done just right. It shows what a smashing movie it could have been if Tarantino and his producers would have decided not to cash in double...
... BUT: providing no subs for extended parts of the movie is a sacrilege, and it should have a sticker on it saying "multilingual speakers only". For an audience expecting that English language skills are sufficient this is a very frustrating experience. Of course we all own the movie, otherwise we wouldn't be watching the fanedit in the first place - but sacrificing the subs for a better cut isn't good enough.
So I'll give a "5" for enjoyment as the combination of "10" for the English parts and "0" for the parts w/o subs.
So I watched this edit knowing very little about the faneditor's intentions. I didn't read a cutlist or any reviews etc. With that said, here is my review:
Interesting choice for the opening "Do you find me sadistic?" yet keeping out "this is me at my most masochistic". However I did like that the pregnancy test in the hotel is at the beginning, very nice choice!
So a few gripes:
- No custom title card for the fanedit title? While not a necessity it's always nice to have a title card with the fanedit title but that's JMO.
- I see you split up the airport/buying tickets/flying sequences, but there is a bit of sound and video from those sequences that are left in, and its slightly jarring, granted I am really nitpicking, but it would have been easy to trim those off, but again, this doesn't really take away from the edit
- So my biggest gripe is no english subtitles for the foreign language parts. I understand that it can be a pain to deal with subtitles when editing when they are not hardcoded into the source material to begin with. But IMO the audience misses a lot because of this. Sure we remember the gist of what they are saying because we've seen the theatrical cut, but there are long monologues (i.e. Hattori Hanzo and Pai Mei) that you can't simply infer the meaning from the visuals.
On to what I liked!
- There is a bit of excellent audio editing here that I really have to applaud you on. It is when you crossfade the audio from Hattori Hanzo presenting the sword to The Bride and transitioning to Bud getting out of his truck at the Strip Club parking lot. The music lingers and then there is a sudden stop as Bud slams the car door shut. This was just an awesome stylistic choice.
- Next bit of awesomeness was the sort of montage that you did after The Bride kills O-Ren. You have Bud saying that woman deserves her revenge, and Elle saying she must suffer til her last breath and The Bride asking Bill how he found her. It was an excellent prelude to the final showdown between Bill and The Bride.
- Lastly, it was nice to have the complete color version of the Crazy 88 fight
You definitely achieved your intention with this edit. This is a more streamlined version that does an excellent job of combining the two movies and giving it a relatively more chronological narrative. A very solid firstling. Nice work!
A/V Quality: 1080 MP4 file. Good quality, not the greatest. There is artifacting and pixilation but I’ve seen worse. 8/10
Editing: There were two minor errors in the version I approved. The editor told me he fixed them but I haven't double checked. Visual: 9/10, Audio: 9/10
Narrative: I dug the way this was structured. Even though about 40% of the running time was cut, this doesn’t feel too condensed. The characters still have room to breathe and develop without it feeling too action heavy. The sequencing of chapters was well done, but the placement of Chapter 1 felt odd. (The editor told me he changed the placement of Chapter 1 and on paper it sounds good, haven't rewatched edit to check how it flows.)
My favorite parts were the placement of the pregnancy flashback and Chapter 6.
There were no subtitles for the foreign dialogue. This felt unnatural for me, if it was a creative decision then fine it’ll just get a lower Enjoyment rating. But I would encourage you to include subtitles for the foreign dialogue as an option. It was especially annoying during the Pai Mei segment.
This was awesome. Major props for using the Japanese version of Crazy 88 fight.
(1 point deducted for no subtitles on foreign dialogue.)