• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Converting letterboxed video to true widescreen?

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, so I've got a video clip of "Birds of Prey" in Womble. It was aired in a letterbox format. Is there a way to make the final encoded MPEG file true widescreen with the black bars cut off?

I don't know womble, but i'm afraid the only way I see is to increase the scale of your video to match the 16:9 format (?).
That will of course degrade a lot your video quality. It will look blurry.
(someone correct me if I'm wrong or missing the point).

I guess there are some softwares that are "okay" to upscale video to higher size. I think they use the previous and the next pictures to "get" more details. I know I used a trial version of one of them to upscale 14 seconds of a behind the scene shot for my fanedit Alien-Ate.
I sadly dont remember the name of the software. But the result was so-so. (in the end I added an "echo" filter to make the shot a bit weird looking and hide the fact the picture quality was not very good...)

Well, I don't care much about upscaling it. This is just for a short YouTube vid.

What I ended up doing is cropping 55 pixels from the top and bottom of the image, changing the size of the final encoded vid from 720x480 to 720x370, and selected 9/16 in the Expert option under the video tab.

The result is it's pretty much bar-less, though there still is a tiny bit on the top and bottom of the image, and there is some on the sides as well (which I didn't bother trying to remove).

For any future projects, would anyone be able to come up with a list of the number of pixels to crop from the top of bottom of videos of various different aspect ratios in order to minimize the "black bars" in the resulting MPEG file? Such as "For 16:9 television video, crop off this many", "For 1.85:1, crop off this many", etc.?

If you want to see my little experiment, here it is:

It depends on the borders. Generally you just have to measure a video frame and the borders to see how many pixels it all is. Then do the math to crop accordingly so that borders are gone and aspect ratio is maintained. You might like the AVS scripting tool that comes with free app MeGUI. You can plug in different crop #'s and instantly preview the results. Then you can just eyeball the proper numbers, but you will still need to do the math on the aspect ratio to crop the sides. Just take your new border-free vertical height and multiply by 1.778. Take the difference of the new and old horizontal size and crop accordingly. Round to the nearest even numbers.

Back
Top Bottom